Pumpkins !

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jcriscio, Oct 10, 2016.

1. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    [​IMG]So our chickens are 6-7 weeks old and I was wondering are they to young to feed a pumpkin to? I feed them treats with grit also Wheat Grass and they seem fine... but I know the pumpkins have the seeds didn't know if they are to small for that

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    Awesome thanks so much ! Can't wait to feed them lol

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Chickens can eat a lot of things....Its the amount fed that can become an issue...5% of daily ration is all they should get...A tablespoon per Bird...Per day.....

Cheers!

5. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    Thank you ... yes I don't give them a ton basically the amount you said ... they do seem to enjoy their food I'll say that lol

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

When it comes to fruits and vegetables, including pumpkins, I don't follow any "treat" rules.

I give them as much as I have available, not much different than if they were free ranging and came across a vegetable garden.

Every fall I gather pumpkins destined for disposal and place them into the chicken run. I just pile them up as they become available. Many others on this list do the same.

30 or 40 a season, I have about a dozen birds.

Eventually they all disappear, just takes a while...

Egg yolk color deepens, no change in production, happy chickens.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by