Pumpkins?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sabrinainmiss, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    O.K. I have seen the pumpkins are now hitting the stores and I know they are good for chickens, but my question is what type of pumpkin or does it matter? Will any type of pumpkin do?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think any type of pumpkin will do. I think the good part for the worming thing are the seeds. Haven't tried but I bet someone who has can answer better.

3. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Don't remember the details, but yes, its the seeds that are most beneficial. The rest is just a treat. :)

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    So you just cut open a pumpkin and throw it in the coop, like watermelon? I can't wait to try this with my chickens. Thanks![​IMG]

5. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    That's it. Although, avoid halfs. Ours do their scratch-scratch routine, flip it upside down, and then can't figure out how to get to the inside anymore. oops!

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Oh no! Thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure to give pieces they can manage.

7. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    I buy pumpkin seeds at our co-op store, they call them pepitas. Delicious to eat, and I put them in my home made granola. I wish they were not so expensive, too much $ for chicken treats. I will watch for sales on pumpkins after halloween though!

8. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Or you do like mine, fly over the fence into the garden and peck right through the pumkin to get to the inside. Oh yes. Good thing I really like my chickens.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some of our supermarkets give away their left over pumpkins after haloween... and their bales of field grass!

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Pumpkin seeds aren't too big for a chicken to swallow? Is that a crazy question? I feel like I read somewhere that you shouldn't give whole corn to a chicken, and I assumed that was because it was too big, but maybe there's another issue...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by