pumpkins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kerrysmommy, Nov 5, 2011.

1. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    can i feed my chickens old jack-o-lanterns???????? i dont think they have any mold but if they do i wont but is it still okay to feed them to them if there isnt any mold?

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    oh yeah they LOVE pumpkins! I bought some on clearance the other night just to feed to the chickens. Walmart had them for $0.25 each!

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Just split a big one in half for our two flocks and they are very busy right now.... On sale everywhere now so we picked up several to feed occasionally.

4. eastercreek

eastercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Benton, LA
    Gave mine half a jack-o-lantern today and they have been busy with it all day! We have 13 in the flock and it has kept them busy all afternoon.

5. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    I bought 3 at Walmart since they were on clearance. The chickens and ducks love them! The ducks especially seem to love the stringy bits. [​IMG]

6. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    sadly i couldnt give them to them due to the mold so i smashed them [​IMG] (not in the rd but the manue pile for the horses and chicken)

7. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Mine don't seem to care for pumpkin very much. Our neighbor donated his jack-o-lantern. I busted it up a couple days ago and it doesn't look like they've touched it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. TheOldHen

TheOldHen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Green Bay,WI
    do you feed them seeds and all???????????

9. mistakingdeer

mistakingdeer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    they will eat seeds pulp skin/rind down to the stem. they seem to love it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by