Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by max13077, Oct 19, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Songster

I read on a member page that pumpkins are good to give to chickens, seeds and all. I bought a couple of small ones the other day and cracked one open this morning. Dang... Those seeds just look too big to me. Any thoughts?

2. chantecler

chantecler Songster

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    My chickens LOVE!!! pumpkins. They clean it completely out.... so far I've just given them small ones from my garden but I plan on giving the biggies too. It's really cute to watch. [​IMG]
    hey! I just had a woonderful idea for my jack-o-lanterns. I'll chop the top off and give the pumpkin to the bird to clean out then take it back to carve for Halloween [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Songster

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    great idea chantecler! no more guts up to my elbows!

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    My chickens ate all the pumpkins from our garden that grew outside the fence. We will keep the ones they didn't eat until after Halloween and then they will eat those ones too. They love them!

5. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Songster

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Yeah, our girls eat them right down to the rinds like they do watermelon!

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I just take a hammer or the back of a hatchet and smash the living heck out of it then throw it to them. Smashing pumpkins!

7. happyhen

happyhen Songster

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Mine eat the seeds first, then the meat, and then the shell!

8. HenMamma

HenMamma Songster

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    Boy am I glad this post was here! We just got done gutting a couple of large pumpkins and I didn't know if I should give the guts to the chickies. Question answered. Thank You!

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    My chickens love them and I understand that pumpkin seed is a natural wormer.

10. momofdrew

momofdrew Songster

Quote:Really?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by