1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Puncture between toes. heavy bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fun Farmer, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Fun Farmer

Fun Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    tampa
    Noticed one of my hens limping when I let them out this afternoon. When I picked her up blood dripped quite heavily down my shirt and I noticed a cery fine puncture right between two toes. I was axlctually worried ahe would bleed out. I dipped her foot in a tub of flour after dosing with peroxide and the bleeding slowed down a lot. Then I wrapped it up really good and put her in my hospital dog crate. My biggest concern was stopping the bleeding. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Maybe triple antibiotic cream for a few days.(chicken feet get so dirty). Leave unwrapped if bleeding stopped. Styptic powder if it won't stop bleeding and re-wrap. Keep her in for a few days so she doesn't re-open the wound by scratching ground, perching etc.

3. Fun Farmer

Fun Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    tampa
    Ok. Just what I thought. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by