1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Puncture wound from attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LavendarFeather, Mar 12, 2014.

1. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2012
    Had a chick injured by a predator last night. Not sure what did it, but probably something small--a rat maybe? Chick is almost 4 weeks old. Was walking funny. I picked him up, saw a gaping wound, pulsing, above his tail, and a little to the left of it. I took him inside, cleaned the wound and sprayed with blue kote. Put him under heat lamp, gave him water with honey. He seems to be in shock, but otherwise functioning. The wound has stopped pulsing. I fear it may be a hole in his intestine, as there was a bunch of excrement near it when I went to clean him up. Is this something that can heal? Is there a way to patch it?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No, it cannot heal if it is a hole in his intestines. There is no way to patch it except surgically. Even humans still often die when the bowel gets punctured, and we have the benefit of modern surgical techniques, hospitals and medicines. If you are sure his intestines were punctured then the kindest thing to do is to euthanize. He will not live long, but his death will not be quick or pleasant.

I am sorry. Good luck.

3. LavendarFeather

May 24, 2012
    Thank you for answering. I am not sure, but I will make an effort to see what is going on with him. Thank you again.

4. Avalongirl83

Avalongirl83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    If you aren't sure that the intestine is punctured, keep a close eye on him. Do exactly what you are doing: keep him cleaned up, keep him warm and make sure to keep him hydrated. Additional vitamins may help to give him an extra boost to heal. Unfortunately, its all on him and all you can do is try to limit his stress. Birds are very delicate and can often die from stress alone.

I hope he gets better.

5. LavendarFeather

May 24, 2012
    Ah, he didn't make it. Poor little guy. A real fighter. I thought he might be okay--he was so feisty. He managed to knock the light screen top off of the tub I had him in, and was flying around my bedroom last night. But this morning, he's gone... Rest in peace, little prince.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am sorry for your loss.

7. LavendarFeather

May 24, 2012
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by