Puncture wound inside mouth, blood loss

Sarahh_Janeyy

Chirping
Dec 12, 2019
My troublemaker speckled sussex got into trouble again.. Somehow she punctured the inside of her mouth and was bleeding quite a bit. We brought her to the emergency vet- not knowing what had happened until she was examined or how long she had been that way (I had checked on her at 1pm, then it stormed, and when I went out around 5pm she was dripping blood and had been shaking blood everywhere and it was coating her feathers as if she had been preening like that). The vet had to anesthetize her, intubate, and used silver nitrate to coagulate the blood. She said it looked like she probably got punctured and stuck and tried to tear herself free.

The bleeding stopped, then came back (but not as bad and stopped quickly), and a day later she did something to dislodge one of the scabs but it stopped pretty quick again.

Hoping she doesn't spring a bad leak like when we first found her. What I'm concerned about is the blood loss and what we can do/what signs we should look for if she's in distress. Her wattles and comb are paler than usual, and when she's near me she falls asleep fairly often. It's hard for me to tell if she's just feeling safe and taking a needed rest, or if she's really lethargic and in trouble. I don't know that there's anything the emergency vet can do aside from give fluids and stop blood loss.

I've been moistening her pellets and making a mash - she doesn't like it. She will eat scrambled eggs pretty much no matter what, so I've been mixing that with poultry cell and some mashed up pellets (just received poultry cell today, so haven't had much time to use it yet) and just checking on her CONSTANTLY. Any other suggestions? Thoughts on how much poultry cell she can be given safely in a day? (Bottle just says 1-3ccs. It doesn't say body weight, she is about 2kg as of her vet visit.) I can't seem to find any info on this type of injury, just a lot of info on blood loss from parasites. Thanks!

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Sorry about your chicken. I would give the Poultry Cell orally 1 to 1.5 ml daily. It might make her food taste bad to her. It does contain a little iron, as well as other vitamins and mineral, and electrolytes. It can cause diarrhea if used more than a several days. Most chickens like wet feed, and scrambled egg or tuna are also well liked. I have used canned cat food in small portions as well. Beef liver which is easily found in frozen meat departments, can be chopped and fed a little each day for more iron and B vitamins after stopping the Poultry Cell. Did the injury puncture the bottom of the beak? Hopefully it will all heal soon, and she will be fine.

Sarahh_Janeyy

Chirping
Dec 12, 2019
Sorry about your chicken. I would give the Poultry Cell orally 1 to 1.5 ml daily. It might make her food taste bad to her. It does contain a little iron, as well as other vitamins and mineral, and electrolytes. It can cause diarrhea if used more than a several days. Most chickens like wet feed, and scrambled egg or tuna are also well liked. I have used canned cat food in small portions as well. Beef liver which is easily found in frozen meat departments, can be chopped and fed a little each day for more iron and B vitamins after stopping the Poultry Cell. Did the injury puncture the bottom of the beak? Hopefully it will all heal soon, and she will be fine.
It only punctured the top as far as I can tell. I tried to take a pic without forcing open her mouth.
20200813_154053.jpg

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Have you figured out what she might have punctured or impaled herself on? Are there any nails or screws sticking out of a board anywhere?

Sarahh_Janeyy

Chirping
Dec 12, 2019
Have you figured out what she might have punctured or impaled herself on? Are there any nails or screws sticking out of a board anywhere?
Unfortunately I haven't, I've searched all over their run. Vet thought it could possibly be a sharp stick so I removed all the sticks I could find, nothing had blood on it. :/ didn't find any random screws or anything. I'd feel a lot better if I could figure out how it happened. 😩

Top Bottom