1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Puncture wound on 2 months old chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luckybaby, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    I think it's thigh got punctured by fencing wire. It probably penetrated as deep as 1/2 inch. Surprisingly, I didn't see any blood on the wire, but I saw a small hole near it's thigh. When I look on the skin about 1/2inch from the hole, I can see that the area underneath and near the hole is red, while further from the wound, I can only see the color of the skin, which is pink, and some blood vessels. I have a broad spectrum antibiotic which contains amoxicillin trihydrate and tylosin tartrate. However, I am planning to use it 5 days from now since, infection usually occurs 2 to 5 days after having the wound. Should I use it earlier, or should I use it ONLY when I see signs of infection. What are the signs of infection on a puncture wound? The hole is about 1/8 inch in diameter. How long does it take before a new skin completely covers the hole?

I already put betadine and triple antibiotic ointment around the hole( both inside and outside). I don't think any wire is stuck in there nor any other object other than dust and maybe dirt or poop( highly unlikely, since I didn't see any poop on the same kind of area(the area they stepped on) on the fence), and I saw a very small area with rush on the wire. I think the rush covers only about 4% of the total area of the wire that went through it's skin.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I normally flush puncture wounds for several minutes to flush out any debris. Although many members use oral antibiotics in their birds, I'm hesitant to do oral antibiotics as it can disturb the function of the crop. In a case such as yours, I would flush the wound with chlorehexidine solution (Nolvasan), and apply triple antibiotic for 3-4 days. If this is a simple puncture wound, the lesion should heal well. However, if you are dealing with a spider bite you will see severe necrosis of the tissue which will require aggressive treatment including antibiotics.

Good luck!

3. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    The hole is already completely covered. I never thought it would happen that fast. Should I cut about 1/2 inch of the skin from the hole, to check if there are any poop or dirt stuck inside?

Assuming there is poop and/or dirt inside and I don't take it out and it drunk sufficient amount of antibiotics about 4 days from now, will the infection reoccur, if the antibiotic is effective?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  4. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    Puncture wounds will do as you describe. I would not cut it but I would use a wet sponge (gauze) to loosen the scab. It it has already formed a good layer of skin, leave it alone. Keep observing for signs of infection. If an abscess forms then you can lance it and flush it.

5. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    Assuming there will be an imminent infection due to foreign bodies, how long does it usually take for an abscess to form, after a chicken get a wound?</p>

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  6. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    3-5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by