Puncture Wound Won't Close

akc

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2018
My chicken was attacked by a neighbor dog a week and a half ago. This was my first injured chicken and I have learned a lot. Unfortunately, in the learning process I missed the puncture wound on her chest.

I found this wound a week ago when I read about putting them in water to search for punctures.

I cleaned the wound and attempted to superglue it closed.
I have been cleaning and applying ointment to her wounds twice a day. Some of her scabs began falling off last night. Tonight when I went to clean her wounds, what I had thought was a scab over her puncture wound is gone. She has a large hole in chest. There is no liquid.

She has been staying inside with afternoon time free ranging in the garden. She is eating and drinking and I thought she was on the mend, but I am at loss for what to do about this hole.
Any ideas?

My chicken was attacked by a neighbor dog a week and a half ago. This was my first injured chicken and I have learned a lot. Unfortunately, in the learning process I missed the puncture wound on her chest.

I found this wound a week ago when I read about putting them in water to search for punctures.

I cleaned the wound and attempted to superglue it closed.
I have been cleaning and applying ointment to her wounds twice a day. Some of her scabs began falling off last night. Tonight when I went to clean her wounds, what I had thought was a scab over her puncture wound is gone. She has a large hole in chest. There is no liquid.

She has been staying inside with afternoon time free ranging in the garden. She is eating and drinking and I thought she was on the mend, but I am at loss for what to do about this hole.
Any ideas?
20181021_182809.jpg
20181021_182809.jpg

Thank you for the photo.

She's eating/drinking o.k.?
Moving about, alert/active?

If there is no smell/bad odor that indicates infection, I would just keep it clean and pack it with triple antibiotic ointment.
Wounds like that are best to let heal from the inside out.
Closing or covering wounds on chickens harbors bacteria and infection can set in, so I would not attempt to glue it shut or bandage it.

For reference if your temperatures are not too cold and you can bring her somewhere warm to dry a hose can be a great option to clean that wound. Absolutely don't close it. It will likely develop pus from the bacteria from the dog bite, this would look white or pale yellow and kind of cheesy. If that happens you must debride the wound removing the pus, chicken pus can't usuallybe squeezed out like human pus. For now keep it as clean as possible watch to make sure she doesn't dust bathe and pack it with dirt. I would apply triple antibiotic ointment daily and wash with sterile saline as needed. Don't continually use peroxide as it can damage and hinder healing tissue.

I have had good luck with using gentle iodine but have also heard that can be bad.

Good luck please keep us up to date. I think she will heal very well. You will want to watch that area to be sure feathers don't grow into the wound as she heals.

Back
Top Bottom