1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Punctured Crop - aftercare

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LegoVasavouchi, May 19, 2018.

1. LegoVasavouchi

LegoVasavouchi Chirping 5 Years

Oct 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Hey chicken people, need some advice. One of my hens got caught on some wire that essential skewered her crop. It happened in the evening, so it was super full, and the wound was enough that her food was essentially spilling out. The GOOD NEWS is I was able to take her to my family vet who, despite not specializing in chicken care (thought they do take care of large livestock), was kind enough to clean her up and sew her up.

She is hopefully on the mend, its up to her to recover now BUT my concern is what to feed her? Because there was so much damage to her crop - tears on both sides of it - I'm feeling like I should only give very soft/mushy things to eat so that the crop doesn't have to work too hard.

Am I wrong here, and she should be able to eat her pellets (and occasional birdseed snacks) with no issue?

And if softer foods ARE a good idea, how long should I stick with them, and what are some good options? I mashed up her pellets with some water (most of my chickens like this) but she was totally uninterested. I boiled and mashed some potatoes for her and she liked that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

casportpony likes this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Go Team Tube Feeding! Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    maybe try some scrambled eggs?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. LegoVasavouchi

Oct 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I can't believe this wasn't my first thought, eggs didn't even occur to me. Will definitely see if she'll eat some.

casportpony likes this.
  4. LegoVasavouchi

Oct 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Any suggestions for how long she should stick with softer food? Should her crop be able to handle normal food work pretty quickly?

casportpony likes this.
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wow, I really don't know.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Another soft food that she might like is Kaytee Exact baby bird food. It a powder that you mix with water.

7. LegoVasavouchi

Oct 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure if our local farm supply store has that, but I'll look into it! In the meantime she is LOVING her eggs
    As far as how long to keep her on this soft food diet... I guess I'll just wing it! Thanks so much for your input. :')

casportpony likes this.
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The baby bird food is sold at Petsmart and Petco. You could also try Gerbers infant food, though that might get expensive.

9. LegoVasavouchi

Oct 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Oh okay, well that makes it much easier! I'll definitely check it out.
    She's doing incredibly well though, so I'm optimistic. She laid an egg today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: