Pungent Odor Coming From Silkies Poo!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Break an Egg, May 5, 2008.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    My silkies are about to be re-homed if this is normal, if not I hope I can help them. I have 4 3 week old silkies and all of a sudden their poo is all brown and smells really bad.[​IMG]

They smell worse than my 7 week old ee's and I have 4 of them.

Please someone help me discover the problem.
    [​IMG]

2. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Bump please help

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    is EVERY poo like this or is it just a couple a day...?
    What are you feeding them? What is their environment (temps , housing etc) How old are they...
    Sorry but you have just given too little info to even take a guess [​IMG]

4. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Well their poo is clumping into one big mess around the waterer. They are in a rubbermaid brooder box all by themselves in the garage, under a heat lamp. I have also A larger box similar material with 4 ee's in it and a small cardboard box with 2 one week old NHR's
    in it.

They are about 3 weeks old and one of them is was pecked in the head and has wryneck now. They seem to be pooping on one side, and sleeping on the other side. And it is all of the poo recently the smell is very ripe almost sour.

5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    How often do you clean out their brooder boxes. As they grow, they will poop more, and with more poop, comes more smell, so you have to clean it out more often.
    It sounds like they are getting a little too cramped, and need more space.

Jean

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Also, since you say it is around the waters... are they stepping in the water dish, and with feathery feet, getting water everywhere and thus = smell?

7. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Well they kept knocking over their waterer so I put it on a big ceramic plate and I clean out all the brooders once every other day. I just cleaned out their's yesterday, and like I said they smell worse than my 7 week old EE's. I am thinking it may be coryza, because that is the only thing I am finding that is associated with a smell. I just hope my other chicks don't catch the same thing.

Well when I lift up the waterer, there is a ring of poo where the waterer was and I just washed this off yesterday evening.

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    what are you using for bedding? and it does sound like maybe they need more room, I keep the water up on bricks so it is higher and less chance for poo to get close. I use pine shavings also. when water gets on poo it really makes it smell worse! and the bigger they are the more they smell!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it is just stinky poo, I doubt it it is coryza. IF they had facial swellings, swollen wattles, sneezing, listness and nasal distarge in addition to stinky poo's maybe. Ring of poo around water still makes me think they are walking though it or getting their head puffs into it and getting water on the ground.

10. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I hope you are right. They really have enough room, actually I moved the EE's into a bigger brooder when they were much larger than my silkies are now. I wonder what it could be considering the other two brooders are not smelling the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by