1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pup choice? Male or Female?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rebelcowboysnb, Dec 12, 2010.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

What do you prefer an why? Felt like being nosy.

I prefer girl dogs mainly to stay away from marking behavior but they also seem to get along better to me.

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I always get girls they just seem a little easier to train and less hyper. besides I live on 18 acres with one wife one mother in law one daughter and two grand daughters and a sister in law, it's nice to have a least one girl in my life that is below me in the pecking order

Dan

Yep I spend my life treading water in a sea of estrogen.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I always had female dogs when I was young so when my husband and I started looking for a dog, we wanted a female. Of course now we have two males [​IMG] . My biggest objection to males is humping but we have trained ours from the beginning that behavior like that is not allowed so we don't have a problem with it. However, if I didn't have any dogs and went out to get one right now, I would go for a female.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

We've had a lot of dogs over the years and I personally just really prefer the females. They've all just seemed to be easier all the way around and no leg lifting on EVERTHING!! [​IMG]

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I've had more female dogs, and in general I'd go intending to get a female dog.

I haven't found any disadvantage to either, if they are trained properly. Unneutered males may fight with other males, but females can fight like the very devil, too - with either gender.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Females all the way! We have a dog of both sex but I preferr my indoor female dog. Our male dog marks on everything and is just a pain in the behind! The only thing I hate about my female is when she is in heat... [​IMG] We live way out in the middle of nowhere and when she comes in heat she trys to get w/ our male dog ( who is not neutered ( sp? ) and they kept getting out and we'd have to go chase them down and ... UGH!

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I prefer female if I were to pick although I do have an equal amount of each. I feel bad for the boys they stay outside a lot.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    female dogs here too.... the winky gets in the way of a belly rub [​IMG]

funny little story:
    I was at my aunts, I was sitting on the couch with the dog at my feet. he lied down so I bent down a little to continue petting him he rolled over without me noticing and yep you guessed it.... Mr. Winky got in the way. I was so embarrassed:eek:

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Male

I have one of each - my girl is a very spoiled diva (she's a lab-pit mix) who whines to get her way

My boy GSD is THE biggest doofus

I have to add - they are this way because we MADE them this way, so it is an isolated opinion [​IMG]

10. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I actually prefer males. (I am, indeed, a FEmale. I know, Louieandthecrew: Louie is my top roosters name and the others are his 'crew'. [​IMG]) We love our male boxer who is now 7yrs. old [​IMG]

He's just the sweetest thing:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by