Puppies killed my chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LuvnMyFeatheredBabies, Jul 7, 2011.

1. LuvnMyFeatheredBabies

LuvnMyFeatheredBabies New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Today has been such a horrible day. My mother in law woke me up at 6:30 this morning, telling me that the neighbors puppies were IN my chicken pen. I just out of bed and ran outside to find those mutts gnawwing on what was left of my black silkie Sally (I've only had her two weeks) and my self blue dutch rooster Jack. My lil dutch hen Ella (just four months old) was no where to be found. [​IMG]

The "puppies" are six month old hound mixes, and there are about 8 of them. Three of them were IN the pen, a fourth was still trying to figure out how to get in. I was screaming and crying and swinging a stick around, just hoping it made contact with one of those furballs [​IMG] We live outside the city limits, so animal control won't do anything about them, and the neighbors cant seem to keep the mother in their yard, much less the puppies. I dont think I could bring myself to shoot the puppies, I would just like them GONE. [​IMG]

Needless to say, I will be revamping my pen and coop before I get anymore chickens.

2. Habbakuk

Habbakuk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Well look, if the neighbors are too irresponsible to take care of and contain their dogs in their own yard, then you have the right to remove them by any means necessary. You might not be able to shoot them, but certainly get something to stop them if they are killing your chickens. Homemade dog repellent can work, with red pepper or other strong smells, or you might have to take more drastic measures if this doesn't deter them.

3. wyomingleghorn

wyomingleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    sooooo sorry about your loss.
    i live in wyoming in the country and i live by one rule when it come to pets.
    and that is i keep mine at home so should my nieghbors.!
    i love all animalls but i love mine more i have a 3 yr old english springer spaniel and she does nothing but protect my leghorns
    and my neighbors know to keep thier pets at home or on thier property i hate to "take care of problem pets" but i will in a heart beat if it
    means taking care of my babies and that includes puppies cause once they have the taste it will be almost impossable to stop them
    hope you can find a way to handle the problem humanly but you have to do what you have to do.
    good luck to you and your flock

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your loss! It sounds like such a tragedy.
    Some people really do have problems controlling their animals, and I don't see why you should have to suffer because of it. Certainly, like the others say, do anything you can to keep your birds safe. If all else fails, you could always tie them to a tree and when the neighbours ask where their dogs are, explain. Hopefully that'll push them to take some stronger action.

5. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    catch the puppies and sell them to a pet shop.

Gets rid of them, and the money you make will reimburse you

6. Holly J

Holly J New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Similar day:( my daughter's first time at camp with mom entrusted to take care of her black bantam cochin plus several other chickens pets etc
    Her little dog is still out of control from all the fireworks the neighbors set off and --- well, the rest is history at least for the
    cochin MOM has spent the day looking for black cochins to somehow ease the loss not easy in Los Angeles

I know how you feel --- it is easy to love a feathery little creature and it is even harder to say goodbye
    Its ok to be terribly sad for pets

7. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Make sure the ones that are missing aren't on a perch or hiding somewhere in your yard.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, I am so sorry! That is just terrible!

Neighbors with pets can be so darned inconsiderate! Just last month a neighbor's dog came into my backyard and grabbed one of my hens! THE NERVE!

If I were you, I would put the poor chicken's bodies in a box, and go over and demand compensation. If she refused, I'd take her to small claims court, and ask for $20 per bird!

I'd also tell her if those puppies came into my yard again, I would be taking them to the pound, and reporting her to the dog warden for not having licenses! She should be fined for that as well!

Sorry for my rant! [​IMG] So sorry you lost your chickens.....take care,

Sharon

9. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I am so sorry!!! [​IMG] That must have been an awful experience! I think I like my animals more than I like most humans! My pig and chickens are part of the family!! I am so sorry this happened!

10. Silkie<3

Silkie<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    I'm so sorry we have had the same thing happened to us 2 day's in a row the first day were sitting in our living room and a neighbor came to the door saying a dog had gotten in our face and ran of with a chicken ....:{ Turns out he had gotten 2 (one Leghorn here name was Clary :[ and one EE named Chibi :{) So we decided to lock all the chickens up in the barn with the goats we put chicken wire up over the door so no one could get out the next morning we came out to feed every one and a different dog had ripped of the chicken wire and grabbed one of my silkies that sleep by the door (Her name was Nom-Nom :{) we ended up making a new chicken coop and fencing every spot of it .... and i got a BB gun it doesn't kill the dogs (but it does kill hawks ect.) but it hurts them and tells them to dont come back :\\

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by