1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Puppy advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farmchick897, Sep 27, 2010.

1. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    I rescued a mother dog and her pups from shelter about 5 weeks ago. I made a nice area in a stall in my barn for mother and pups to be alone and safe. They have a dog house with blankets in there too. When the pups were getting around pretty good I opened stall and made a nice enclosure so mom would have some outside time. Pups are now 6 weeks old and bothering mom with their sharp teeth and nails, so mom has decided to move out. [​IMG] She didn't jump the fence, she climbs like a ladder and jumps at the top. She is now camped outside my front door, won't come in. I've seen her go back to barn, climb back in and nurse pups and then leave. At night I make her go back to pups and lock her in the stall, she is not happy about this. Are pups okay at this age without mom? I'm feeding them 3X per day and they are eating great. Anyone have outdoor litters, do you have to worry about something getting pups or hurting them (i.e. raccoons) if mom is not with them?? Also, it's getting cold at night are they okay without mom keeping them warm? The vets told me the mother has to be dry 7-10 days before I can spay her, and pups have to be 8 wks old and 2 lbs for neutering (all boys), so should I wean now?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Can you put something in there for her to jump up on, so she can take a break when she needs one? Something too high for the pups to get up on, but low enough and large enough that she can hop up there and lay down? That way, she can be there with them, but get a break when she needs to get away from them.

3. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Good for you for helping out!
    8 weeks is best. I know mom gets annoyed, but that's just the nature of the parent/pup relationship. She'll let them know if they're biting too hard, and that's how they learn to control themselves. They are also still getting benefits from her milk, but you can start introducing soaked puppy food as well.
    Again, good on ya! [​IMG]

4. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Mentally, they need her to get annoyed with them and teach them limits. Yes, she'll leave them and come back and yes, she'll snarl and even snap at them. These things can be hard on humans to watch. We don't like to watch human mothers discipline their children, but they make better adults for it, and your pups will be better dogs if you let Mom do her thing till they're 9 weeks old.

About the spay - the vet doesn't want the pups digging around near Mom's incision. It doesn't really matter if her milk is dry, it's the pups tugging that matters. BUT even if she's in heat right at this second (which is unlikely) the vet can still do the spay anytime through the first 4 weeks of gestation with no real extra risk to Mom. So no rush.

And big hugs to you for taking them in!

5. farmchick897

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Well, unless I physically lock her in the stall with them, she doesn't want to be with them (jumps/climbs fence). She will check on them during the day and she does let them nurse a few times per day, but she does not want to stay in there with them. Last night it was time to lock her in the stall (because I have been doing that at night) she ran off. She ran about 300 yards and sat down looking at us while we called her, we gave up and walked back to the house and minutes later she appeared and layed by the front door. She is VERY skittish, and has the disposition that she has been abused. She has deep scars around her back legs and the time I put a leash on her to lead her back to the barn she panicked and since then she runs if she sees the leash. She cowards or runs if you come towards her quick or from the top. She also is 33 lbs, a medium size shepherd that should weight 50-60 lbs. So, I really don't think it's a good idea to force her to be with pups. The pups are fat little butter balls that are eating well on their own and they have plenty of interaction with my kids and 9 other dogs. I just don't know if raccoons pose a threat to them or if it's too cold at night for them. They have a dog house with blankets, will they be okay to regulate their body heat in 40 degree temps at night? Below is a picture of mom's escape and puppy pics.
    So... as much as I agree that perhaps pups should be with mom for 8 weeks, I don't think in this situation it is beneficial to mom. Has anyone raised pups outside and can tell me if pups will be okay or give me a good idea on how to keep them warm at night (if I need to do that). Thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    They are adorable!

They should be warm enough, but yes, raccoons are a danger. Do any of your other dogs like them enough to stay with them at night? What raccoons can do to the very young is NOT pretty.

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    just let her do what she is doing,,I would make it easier for her to get in and out so she doesnt hang up a leg and break her leg or neck,but she is doing a fine job,let her do it..nature usually knows best.

8. ChickFarmer

ChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    We used a low gate the mother could jump to reach a puppy free area of the pen, and a heat lamp for the puppies.

9. farmchick897

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    All of my dogs are indoors at night but I have been leaving the mother dog out. I would hope if she heard her pups in the barn she would go investigate. I did have a concern about her getting caught up in the fence when she is escaping. I came home to a new problem today and I'm a little frustrated.. [​IMG]
    Either this mother dog or the other dog I rescued tried to eat my bunnies. They didn't get thru my cages but did a bit of damage chewing and broke down my automatic water system. [​IMG]

10. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

i'll take the one in the 4th pic. looks just like my peanut--best dog i have ever had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by