puppy has multiple symptoms - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hollyclyff, Jun 26, 2011.

1. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    First let me make it perfectly clear that I WILL be calling the vet as soon as they open but in the meantime I'm stressing out a little and just wondering if anyone has ever experienced these particular symptoms in their dog.

Background - She's a 7 month old golden retriever or golden mix that we got at the county shelter in February. She was spayed at the shelter at about 12 weeks old. She has had continuing problems with UTIs. Our vet says she has an inverted vulva which can be a problem with early spaying. We've been advised she may need vulvoplasty surgery at some point. She just finished a 4 week course of antibiotics and was pronounced "clean" via ultrasound guided cysto a little over a week ago. I have been wiping her vulva with baby wipes as advised by our vet.

Now the past two days she has refused to eat her food. Yesterday she did eat a little yogurt but refused that this morning. She did eat a little boiled chicken later. When she went out this morning she had a normal poop and then 10 minutes later one that was only mucus and a couple of blades of grass. Then I noticed she was urinating more frequently than normal - like every 30 minutes and licking her vulva a lot. When I went to look at it she bit me. Didn't break the skin, but she wasn't playing either. This is not normal for her. But what I saw that is bothering her is that there are nasty red/purple sores all around her vulva and even one further out on her belly. She also has been acting somewhat depressed the last couple of days. She has bursts of normal activity, but then just lays around in between. She's usually a whirling dervish 90% of the time.

These combined symptoms have me baffled. Anyone have any ideas?

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Could she be allergic to the baby wipes? Just speaking about the rash...

3. hollyclyff

May 18, 2007
    NC
    That did certainly occur to me and if it were only that one symptom I would think that was likely the problem, but combined with loss of appetite, lethargy, and the mucus stool, I don't know. Could be a coincidence and she has more than one thing going on I guess. But the sores also look worse than any rash I've ever seen too. They're like really angry pustule things.

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I'm sorry I can't be of any help . I went through these frustrating uti issues with one of my cats so I can sympathize. I wish you the best.

5. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Sounds like a Staph infection to me. Staph can over grow all over inside and outside the body causing mulipule symptoms as you describe, plust Staph is also quite painful which would account for her sensitivity to touch and defensive reaction. Also..I could be completely wrong but this is what struck me as possible from your description. She could have several unrelated things going on at once too. Have you changed her food recently? That can cause GI upset.

I feel really bad for you and your puppy since you are seeing what early spay can do. I've seen this more than once. It's also costing you a lot of money for a puppy you rescued...I will pray for this situation and for the best outcome. I hope she gets properly diagnosed and feels 100% better soon.

6. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Sounds like a staph infection to me but Im not a vet so dont take that as an accurate assesment. Maybe try offering her popsicles to keep her hydrated. So sorry your girlie is sick.

7. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    WOW how weird was that we both posted about staph at the same time.

8. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:LOL!

9. hollyclyff

May 18, 2007
    NC
    Thanks all. The vet's office didn't seem to think it was anything urgent enough to see her as an emergency today, so she has an appointment in the morning.

I would never spay a puppy that early if I had the choice, but my husband wanted THAT puppy and that particular shelter won't allow them out the door without it no matter what. We did buy insurance for her, so hopefully we won't end up in the poor house! But poor Gracie, I feel so bad for her. She's such an awesome dog though.

Edited to add - No she hasn't had any change of food other than giving her the boiled chicken this morning.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I'm glad it doesn't seem like an emergency. I hope you get good answers. [​IMG] I know how Humane Societies work in regards to the spay and neuter thing, its no your fault that the pup fell under their guidelines. [​IMG] Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by