Puppy Love

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by feather and mountain man, Jan 26, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    I awoke before the alarm to the sound of cyotes howling very close the the house. I thought to my grogy self they were in the cornfield. As I began to come back to the world from dreamland I realized the howling was right outside my window. I had to investigate, I crept to the window and peaked out through the blinds. 10 feet from the house I could see a ghostly figure of a cyote. I grabbed the 22 pistol off the top of my fridge on the way to the front door. Quietly turned the lock and eased the door open and slowly proped the screen door open. They were still howling and in my yard. Creeping across the porch not making a sound I didn't want to shoot up my porch screen. Easing the screen door open without a sound. I could see them they had moved to the driveway. I pull up the pistol and take aim cocked the hammer back to be sure My hand would stay on target. As the hammer clicked the critters take notice of me with full attention. They began to bark and wimper. These critters were not cyotes they were something much worse they were stray dogs. However I didn't have the heart. What if they were someones lost pets. Wouldn't be the first lost critter to take sancuary here. So I called for them. Scared with their tales tucked and crawling on their bellies they inched closer. I could tell they wanted attention but were terrified. I got close enough to let them sniff my hand. They were snow white and looked like fluffy white cyotes and they sure howled like them. They were skinny and in poor health. I decided to give them some food and water. Then left them to go in the house for my daily routine.

They stayed and Mountain Man was not happy "More mouths to feed" the Natives instantly fell in love with them. I myself knew I could not let them starve. We put a sign down by the road "WHITE DOGS FOUND" after a couples day we had a neighbor stop by to tell us they were shoved out of a red car in front of her house a week before. Then another neighbor said they had been fighting with his dogs 3 days before. We took down the sing and the Natives named them Ghost and Huskey. They turned out to be some of the best dogs we ever had. They had been very mistreated by someone and not cared for they were wormy, thin, and terrified. I really hate the things people are capable of.

[​IMG]

Sadly we lost Huskey in November during deer season. We found him one morning 40yards from our house in our corn field shot through the neck. I didn't have the heart to tell the Natives that someone had killed their beloved pet. I told them he must have ran away and maybe some day we would find him.

In spite of the sadness of loosing one we still have Ghost and let me tell you I am in love with that sweetypup. He is my buddy. Mountain Man teases that I love Ghost more than him. I tease back if that was the case you would live outside and my buddy would live in the house with me.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    How could someone mistake a WHITE dog for a deer? [​IMG]

They are beautiful.. [​IMG]

3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Pretty![​IMG]

4. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    The skinny one in the back is the fluffy pup in my avitar. He is all furry and healthy now. I love my mini eski!

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:You can't, unless you're blind. We had a neighbor who shot dogs because he could, and then bragged to his family about it. Some people are just mean and evil.

6. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    I cried for weeks over loosing Husky he was my buddy. That morning when he didn't come when I wistled for him I knew he was gone. He never ignored my whistle. He was always just as excited to see me as I was to see him. I wish I could keep my dogs inside but my father-n-law moved in with us and he is alergic to them and he has breathing trouble.

7. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    They're beautiful, are they american eskimo? Sorry you lost your boy. [​IMG]

8. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    They are mini american eskies

9. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    I have an eski, love her, shes about 40 pounds so I guess shes medium sized. Shes 8 and weve had her since she was a puppy. [​IMG]

10. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    Thank you for your kind words.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by