puppy pad trained at 4 weeks? Can it be this easy?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, Jul 8, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Hello! I'm sure many of you are getting tired of all my endless questions! [​IMG] Well this isn't a question as much as a brag! For the last two days we have spent a lot of time watching the puppies and as soon as they wake up we place them on the puppy pad, today I watched as they woke up, I was sitting right there just in case, but nope as soon as they stood up they waddled over to the puppy pads and did their business, YAY! Go Puppies! I do wonder if it can honestly be this easy, if so why aren't all puppies trained this way? Sure makes my job easier in the long run, and I know I would love it if when I bought Annie she had been trained to use a puppy pad, Sure it's not "House trained" but I would think once they are older and can hold it longer you would just put the puppy pad outside until they get the hang of, "Go outside and go Potty" Anyway I am hoping they keep it up. GOOD PUPPIES![​IMG]

Also started them on solids yesterday, the loved the escibilac formula, but the way they acted afterward was like kids on sugar, running around jumping, barking attacking each other. I think I will stick with the goats milk, and somewhat calmer puppies!

2. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Yes!... and no [​IMG] Puppies learn from their mothers, and at four weeks of age mom would be taking the pups out of the den to potty. You, as surrogate mom, have designated the specific spot to which they are to go, and you've obviously been doing a fantastic job! Continue watching and showing them where to go. Don't get upset when one gets too excited to make it or just forgets. Remembering particular times they must go is a big help, too, as it seems you've done - upon waking, when excited, a few minutes after eating, after playing, etc. Since you seem to be so insightful, you may also recognize that certain pups develop their own habits or have special needs, such as going more often, or always using the corner of the pad farthest from the bed, or whatever. Capitalize on that knowledge to make things easier for yourself.

Why doesn't everyone do it this way? I have no idea, but probably any combination of lack of knowledge, lack of time/patience/desire to keep watch, or unconcern.

Way to go!! And I'd love to see puppy pics.

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    You asked for Pictures, I have posted them before, but am always willing to share more! Here are some pictures, Will post more later.
    Rosie- First born- Trouble maker!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gracie- 2nd born- The shy one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sophie- 3rd born- The calm one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brawny- 4th born- The only Boy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ophelia- 5th born- The friendly one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Random other pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    ack they're soooooo cute!

[​IMG]

both of my dogs have come home housebroken. Rayden was completely housebroken - ask to go out, etc; Singe was papertrained. The only reason Singe was papertrained is that his breeder lives in N. IL and the weather was just too bad with too much snow for the little guys to go outside.

I think it doesn't happen more often because the pups aren't given a chance. As soon as the pups start getting bigger and moving around more, people tend to throw them outside into a pen. The pups are constantly walking through their own mess so that is "normal". If not outside, they are confined indoors, again with no choice but to potty where they sleep.

5. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    With our last batch of puppies, since they do not go to their homes until aft 8 weeks it was my job to get them all started on potty training. I used one area of their pen as a potty only area. Then they have their sleep area, and food and water area with their toys. They picked up early on to go potty in the potty area. I used their puddle pads and changed so often i think I did nothing else. The majority were doing great potty training wise before they went to their homes.

6. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:OMG!!! I can smell the puupy breath!!! Your killin me! [​IMG] oooohhh puppies.........

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    We tried pad training our puppies and it worked for about a week (4-5 weeks old) and then the pads became tug of war toys [​IMG] They would drag them off and tear them up. We switched to crate training at night and when we were gone for short (1/2 hour - hour) periods during the day. When my puppies left between 8-12 weeks they were completely crate trained for night and up to 2-3 hours during the day. They also knew to go to the door but as they got older/ more active they didn't always make it all the way there.

8. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    My mom's Shih-Tsu has been pad-trained since she was very young. Lots of positive reinforcement did the trick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by