Puppy playpen- buy it or build it?

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
We have 7 3-week-old pups. They're really starting to get adventurous, and I'm considering buying one of these : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130339526905&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Or
we could make a wood one.

Anyone have experience with containing puppies, and what works best? This is our first litter. They are sooo fun, but I'm going through paper towels and lysol like crazy trying to keep up with the pee puddles.

I thought if I bought the ebay one, maybe down the road I could use the parts for a coop.

Last edited:
I LOVE my doggie corral!! It folds up easily for storage, and it even has a built in door for humans to go in/out. When my pup got older, I would restrict her to the kitchen (due to an occasional potty accident still). The corral unfolds, so I stretched it across my kitchen entry way, which is really wide, not a doorway opening. They're very versatile. I even used it for my young chicks just a few weeks ago (although I had to attach chicken wire to it because they could get throught the openings at the time). But I wouldn't pay that shipping. You'd probably find one at Walmart. If not, almost all pet stores carry them. They are very convenient.

Are they staying with you or are you selling them or giving them away?

If you are keeping them than buying a corral would be good. If they are temporary, I would find whatever I could on the farm and make a corral to save money.
If you are going to breed and sell pups etc...then buy a good corrral.

Buy only if needed. Don't waste money unless you know you can use it again.

Well- we're keeping all of them for at least another 5 weeks. We hope to find homes for 4 or 5 of the 7. So- that would be 2 or 3 pups left in the house. Eeeek! They are going to be huge, so hoping if I get the yard in the pic they won't be able to knock it over on themselves.
I found other ones that had a floor- but that would be crazy. I'd have to take it apart constantly to clean it.

you are keeping 2 or 3 Great P pups??
hmm...I don't think that little corral will hold them long.
they grow fast and big quick..lol.
a small corral would be knocked over fast wouldn't it? I guess you could stake the sides into the ground hard to keep them contained?

Yeah- we've got to be crazy to keep this many. Maybe we can anchor the pen to the baseboard so it doesn't flip.
It's just until they're housebroken. They can stay on the porch (locking gate) when I have to be gone for a while, but not until they get bigger/fluffier.

Guess I should start looking for a new shop vac too
tongue.png

These are awesome for all sorts of things. We keep chicks in them when they get big enough to venture out. (we put hardware cloth near the bottom so they cannot squiggle through.) The puppies lOVE this. they can see what is going on but are contained. Put newspapers down and all you have to do is lay new papers down and move the whole thing. then clean up the old mess.

Check Craigslist in your area for them, can get them for half the price!!!

That x-pen (or any one similar) will end up being too small and TOO SHORT for great pyr puppies. As mom discontinues her cleanup duties and you wean them onto whole food, the amount of poop is exponential. It will be a poopy mess in no time, believe me (been there, done that). They may very well climb out of it in a couple of weeks. TWO of those connected would work and you can move it around the yard.

I did a little googling and looks like you can order one the same size and 48" high from Sam's Club for about the same price as that one w/shipping.

Back
Top Bottom