Puppy problem

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kmb221, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kmb221

kmb221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Shippensburg, PA
    Hi There:

My grandmother has a 10 week old Shih Tzu puppy. She has not had a dog in quite sometime. Anyway, the puppy refuses to poop outside. He will pee, but he will not poop.

I have raised many dogs, but have never had a problem with house training.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

2. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Feed on a schedule

Confine at night to prevent house soiling

Reward all outdoor elimination with tasty bits of high value food. This means TABLE FOOD, in particular meats or cheese.

Remember that 10 weeks is an INFANT in this breed, it takes time for them to learn and develop enough control to eliminate where they should.

And finally, I always tell people, if the pup is going right after you come in, STAY OUTSIDE LONGER. Take a book, and a nice cool drink, and wait for nature to take its course. Then reward reward reward!

3. kmb221

kmb221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Shippensburg, PA
    I have pretty much gone over your suggestions already with my grandmother. I tried to explain the same, as that breed, is an infant at 10 weeks, etc. I told her she has to be patient and stay out longer with him.

He's a pretty bright puppy. He goes to the door when he needs to go out, so the intention is there, he just won't poop outside. I don't think she understands the whole crate training concept, so I will tell her she needs to be more diligent in putting him in the crate, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by