Puppy Vaccines

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TacoDogTuesday, Nov 16, 2016.

1. TacoDogTuesday

TacoDogTuesday New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Hey all, I have a couple questions about the puppy vaccines you can buy at TSC. My sister used them when her dog accidentally got pregnant years ago. I'm wondering, is there a difference between these that you can administer yourself and the ones you get at the Vet? For anyone with experience with them, are they much more cost-effective than having them done by a professional? I'm sorry if this has been discussed, I'm having trouble finding threads that cover it. Thanks!

2. Gray Angel Farm

Gray Angel Farm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    North Idaho
    I do not vaccinate my dogs, but my brothers family does. They give all of their animals their shots. When you consider an office visit is $35, it is definitely more cost effective to do it yourself. I believe my dogs got parvo when they less than 3 months old and we used Paxxin and Vibactra Plus along with collodial silver, protein mix, water, chicken broth and I slept on the couch and woke up every hour to care for them for nearly a week and they survived against all the odds. The Paxxin and Vibactra plus can be ordered on line and are all natural and non gmo. We feed a high end natural dog food too and I am considering making my own food and feeding them that instead. We believe they can live a long and healthy life without the need for vaccines. Good Luck!

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm a veterinary student and I've used the TSC vaccines before. I had no issue with them. Some people argue that they are not handled properly or don't work as well, but this has not been my experience.

In NJ and New York, we cannot buy rabies vaccines without a veterinarian, so you may still need to take your dog to a clinic or a vet for that (this is THE most important vaccine), but I use the DA2PP vaccine with the lepto and it saved me a bit of money (also my vet in NJ did not have the lepto vaccine and it's an important one while I'm living in NY)

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    first, you need to know that the store you are using handles the vaccines correctly. In the ideal situation, one employee will be in charge of all vaccine shipments and storage. My local Orschlen's, I wouldn't buy vaccines from. I've seen shipments left to set on the loading dock instead of being quickly refrigerated. My local farm store, however, is very conscientious about handling vaccines correctly as well as telling purchasers how to transport them home safe (they provide free icepacks) and insure that the buyer knows that they must be kept at specific temps until used.

I do a limited vaccine protocol. I do puppy vaccs, booster at 1 year and then give booster every 4-5 years. I would titer instead but it't not cost efficient in my area. I do rabies at the max allowed by law in my area which is puppy at 6 months, booster 1 year later and then every 3 years after that.

I follow Dr Dodds vaccine protocol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by