puppy with an upset tummy....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dar, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    It is a stat holiday here today so of course one of my animals HAS to get sick... its the way it goes...

one of the puppy's had a normal poop (or so DS says) this morning outside. As I was making breakfast i notice she is in the corner of the kitchen squatting trying to poop... some comes out but its laced with a little bit of blood... GREAT... not only is it an after hours call but a stat call as well..

she is acting ok just like she had an upset tummy, wont eat dog food but scarfed down a scrambled egg quite fine. She wont eat the stool softener at will so a egg laxative may be in order later in the day [​IMG]

I dont have a can of pumpkin in the house, its not something i would normally have on hand... BUT If I were to get a can, can I freeze the unused portion to use at a later date?.. or does pumpkin not freeze well?

edited to add: she is 6 months old, 3.2 LBS (no thats not a typo... )LOL.... she is up to date on all her shots, I was just at the vet on Saturday june 26th with her getting the last round before her spay

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. yes, try the pumpkin, plain without spices. And yes you can freeze the rest. Good Luck with the pup. Hope she starts feeling better soon.

3. FourPawz

FourPawz Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Dar, what do you mean by stool softener. Are you seeing a hard stool with blood, or very little stool and blood? I would not give this pup a laxative without a vet telling me to do so.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The pup mat have eaten something it wasn't suppose to. We have a Min-Pin that has the same symptoms quite alot because she'll eat ANYTHING! We've even had her to the vet to remove pieces of plastic bottle from her butt that was too big to pass. Good Luck, & I hope the puppy gets better. [​IMG]

5. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:i have some dog stool softener that the vet gave me for when my other min pin ate a sharpie marker he said to give a little at a time until i see some "movement"... then to stop giving the softener... if there is no movement within 24 hrs to stop giving it to her and get her in to the vet office

6. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:lol I have 3 min pins

7. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I have 5 dogs and I can tell you I've been through this many times... dogs getting into something they weren't suppossed to. But sometimes an issue like this can be a serious thing.

first if the dog is not showing any other symptoms than I would give the dog a treat he/she likes soaked in olive oil if you have some if not vegie oil. a stool softener even for dogs will make things worse if the dog ate something that is slightly sharp. the olive oil will allow it to be gently coaxed out where as the softener might give him/her the runs and force it out rapidly causing pain and maybe damage.

Dogs will immediately stop eating food if they sense or know in this case something isn't right down below. They do this to prevent further issues. But this has to be watched. Sometimes Cocci is a big cause for this problem, as it will give them stomach issues, diarreah and in the end they will constantly squat and droplets will come out that contain blood in them. My golden retriever had this and let me tell you the vet bill was ridiculous because by the time I realized how serious it was she needed hospitalization for a full week. Anyhow I learned my lesson. Now I just take preventative measures at home if they begin having any issues of the sort. I start with a slice of bread completely soaked in olive oil and then remove the dog food altogher I let the dog out alone sometimes for extended periods of time. provide plenty of water or saltless chicken broth, I monitor what goes in and what comes out. for the next three days my dog is on a raw diet, or a brats diet. I combine hamburger, brown rice bits of potato and carrots cook it with broth and give it to them until they feel better. raw diet is ...well exactly like it sounds. Most cases are just something they ate.

My golden retriever almost died that one time, and for 2 months she couldn't eat dog food, everytime she tried her symptoms returned and she got sick all over again, so back on her diet she went and then eventually I weaned her off again...she is soo much better now.

trust me try the bread soaked in oil....if its something more serious you will know by tonight or tomorrow night...and then tomorrow you can bring the dog to see the vet and get some meds to make the lil guy or girl feel better. good luck and keep us posted!!!

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:lol I have 3 min pins

CRAZY, aren't they!
    [​IMG]

9. FourPawz

FourPawz Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    I'd be mighty cautious giving medicine prescribed for one dog to another, without a vet exam. Like someone else said, you could try a little boiled hamburger or chicken with rice to tide you over until you can get the dog into the vet. The bread soaked in olive oil probably won't hurt either, but if you have an obstruction, especially if the object is sharp, you might want to be very cautious 'til the vet can take a look.

Good luck. Poor little beastie - so tiny!

10. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I called the vet... he said it was ok

its an OTC stool softener that is primarily mineral oil and white petrolatum, along with other flavors and such

When I cleaned out her crate there was vomit with grass in there... the vet thinks this is a clump of grass that needs some "lubin up" (is exactly what he said) he is not to worried because she is still eating, but because i feed just dry food, he wants her off that and have her put on moist food and pumpkin to encourage a soft BM

my 3 min pins
    [​IMG]

the whole lot of them mom dad and brothers and sisters (total of 8 of them)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by