Pups are six weeks, when do I reduce moms feed?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, Jul 25, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Well our pups are six weeks old now. Six weeks and three days to be exact, they still try to nurse from mom, usually she will let them once a day. They are eating solids pretty good, the litter of six goes through about two cups of dry kibble mixed with one can of meatloafy dog food (not strips, or chunks) and then I add one can of water,(which is swirrled around their can then dumped into mom's empty can, before added to the food) I then mix this all up and give it to the pups around eleven. Then they are restricted from Annie (mom) as she will eat all their food, till they have eaten the whole pan, usually around 8pm. I mix it up off and on all day, and they get to go outside for a couple hours at a time off and on all day (where they do play with Annie, but she won't nurse them) Around eleven at night (when I get off work, my husband is home all day) I let her back in with them and she will sniff around for any food they missed, then lay down and nurse them.

Her food intake for the day is like this. At Eleven she gets two cups of kibble mixed with one can of hearty chopped canned food with a gravey in it, this is all mixed together. She usually eats it in about a hour.

Then she is given two cups dry kibble, which she usually finishes around the time I get home, I will then add another cup of dry kibble, which she eats most of before going out for the night, around 2am, then in with the pups for the night.

So my question is, when is this to much food to be feeding her? Before the pregnancy and pups she was a very picky eater, so we never had to worry about over feeding her, we always had to push her to eat even enough food. But now she seems insatiable, and is looking a little pudgy, she never got skinny while nursing, and now seems to be putting on a bit of extra weight. Might be easier to show you, I will try to get a good pic of her tomorrow. I am just not sure if I am just thinking she looks heavy cause she is still producing milk (no where near what she was though).

So when would you reduce the feed from "whatever she will eat" to "what she should eat" , and would that be, what it says on the bag? for a 20-25lb dog (what she weighed before pups) says 1-1/2cups a day.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I would let her wean them naturally. Mom will tell them not too when she don't think they need it or if their teeth/nails etc are hurting her. Some people keep their pups till 8-12 weeks so mom's can teach the puppies things and the brothers and sisters teach each other things too.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Are you free-feeding her? If so, I would put her on a schedule now that the pups are starting to wean.

I've never gone by the amount on the bag, too much variation with a dog's metabolism and activity level.

http://www.dog-food-zone.com/pet-articles/is_your_dog_fat.htm
    has some pictures to help visualize. But, the simple and easy thing is "can you feel her ribs"? When you pet her sides, you should just feel her ribs - not poking through the skin or anything, but you shouldn't be like the Pillsbury Doughboy either. Over the course of time, just adjust up or down the amount you feed per day. I feed my boys twice a day; bowl is down for 30 mins. If the food isn't gone by then (or the dogs walk away without finishing) the bowl goes up until next feeding time.

ETA:
    Went back and re-read. If it's taking her an hour to finish a meal, she's eating it because it's there, not because she's hungry. I'd go with 2 or 3 feedings a day. If the bag says 1 1/2 cups per day, I'd start her off at 2 (since she's weaning) divided into at least 2 1cup feedings. Since she's used to eating such a huge volume, I'd mix in some UNSALTED green beans to help fill her empty tummy.
    Right now, Belle is eating more than BOTH my 60+lb GSDs put together....

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:My problem with this is that she is not the kind of dog who will eat what she needs at one time. She never has been. She has always been a grazer, and any attempt at fixing this simply results in a massive loss of weight. Like I said, free feeding her is the only way we have ever gotten her to eat. Upon looking at her today, she doesn't look heavy at all. She has such a high metabolize its like at the end of the day she will look a bit chunky then come morning she looks a bit skinny. We free feed her on advice of our vet, as when we first got her we tried the three meal a day thing, she would take a couple bites and be done, no where near what she needed, but we would remove her food anyway. Giving it back a couple hours later. I think I will slowly decrease the amount of food per meal, till she is closer to the amount on the bag.

5. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    How much milk is she producing? If she's still got very full breasts, the way to stop milk production is to fast her for one day, then go to half rations for the next 3. If her breasts are hot and swollen, cool packs can help, but don't massage or stimulate the breasts in any way.

The pups are old enough to wean if they are any breed except tinies. (Chihuahus, Yorkies, etc) I'd keep the pups away from her for a few days until milk production stops. If you can't kennel/seperate them, you can always put an old t-shirt on mom so they can't access her breasts.

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I guess I missed the word (mom's) lol, sorry!

7. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    She doesn't have a lot of milk, just some, mainly in the last two. I plan to let her keep nursing till she chooses to stop, I just didn't want to overdo it on the food. She seems to be drying up slowly and nicely, she doesn't have loose sagging teats. I included a couple pics I took earlier, I plan to post some of the pups on a 6 week pup thread, but here are a couple of her today, one of her eating her breakfast, and one of her playing with the puppies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you all think? Slowly reduce food starting now till she is down to (this is my plan at the moment) half a can and 1 cup of dry kibble twice a day? Obviously I will adjust this as needed, based on her weight, body condition, etc.

8. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    [​IMG] Daid from the cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by