Purchased 2 sebastopol geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sferle, Aug 1, 2014.

1. sferle

sferle Chirping

Apr 22, 2014
    They are male and female , I have put them in a room in the barn till we can get their pen built outside , my questions are

1.They hiss at me , how do I gain their trust

2. Their poo is watery , do they need worming

3. Can I feed them layer feed , which I feed my chickens

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Congrats on getting your geese. As for hissing that is pretty normal for geese, my one goose[toulouse] has lived here since she was 4 months old and she was 2 in April she still hisses so they may never stop that.

Watery poo like clear water or it has some food stuffs in it. How old are they?

My geese eat what the rest of my flock eats, layer mixed with an all flock feed to keep my boys from getting too much calcium. I put out oyster shell for extra calcium for the layers. if not of laying age yet don't feed layer. Geese mainly graze so make sure they get plenty of grass and other greens daily.

3. sferle

sferle Chirping

Apr 22, 2014
    Well when I brought them home , they had soupy poo , today its pretty much liquid , they haven't eaten much , and I gave them some clover which they ate , but they were penned in a dog pen with no fresh greens and where fed layer crumbles , not sure if it is a good diet , I want them to free range , when they get settled

4. Miss Lydia

In the mean time get some leafy green for them Mine love romaine heads I hang them in their fence. also chopped kale and clover. most likely it's their diet they were on. Also being uprooted will cause tummy upset too so hopefully after a couple days you'll notice things settling down including their tummies. The mostly are grazers with feed as a supplement once they are out of the tiny gosling stage. You didn't say how old they are. Pic when you can, also RURU a member here has Sebbies and if you PM her I'm sure she would give you some good tips for your new geese.

5. sferle

sferle Chirping

Apr 22, 2014
    They are a year old[​IMG]

6. sferle

sferle Chirping

Apr 22, 2014
    Phone picture not the greatest

7. Miss Lydia

They are beautiful geese, looking at the pic your shelter for them doesn't look that secure, mink weasel, rats can squeeze through 1" openings and kill our precious geese, please look at their area again and make sure all openings are secure. Hardware cloth is the best for keeping out preds. 1/2"

Give them some time to get settled in even moving from a not so good environment to a much better one takes time with water fowl they don't like changes.
    Please keep us updated. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: