Purchased and matured as Barred Rock but laying white eggs... any idea on the breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Desert Springs, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Desert Springs

Desert Springs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    Last fall I purchased several pullet chicks labeled as Barred Rocks. One matured into a cockerel which still has the Barred Rock coloring but is far lighter than the pullets. A couple weeks ago they started laying... the eggs are snow white!!! Since Barred Rocks lay a brown egg, these aren't Barred Rocks. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    California Grays.

3. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with Toshi...I've never owned Barred Hollands but the pics sure seem to support it.

5. Desert Springs

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    thanks all! Have never even heard of California Grays or Barred Hollands. Will have to look them up ans see if they fit the look and the white eggs. These look exactly like Barred Rocks and so when I purchased them and they started to grow, though they were, until the white eggs.

6. Desert Springs

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    Okay, looked up both Barred Holland and California Grays. They both are smaller than the Plymouth Barred Rock and larger than the Leghorn, which mine are. They both have single upright combs, which mine do. In both the cockerels and roos are much lighter than the pullets and hens, which they are, and have been since chicks (auto-sexed)
    [​IMG]

Maybe someone more familiar with each can give me their opinion. Thanks so much!!!

7. Desert Springs

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    Leaning towards Barred Holland as mine do not have the white ear lobes that are so prominent in the California Grays. Plus, mine have bright yellow legs, as stated in the Barred Holland description. Okay.... think these are Barred Hollands... whew... took me isolating these to find out who was laying white eggs. All my others are brown eggs, EE's, Americauanas or Legbars. Thanks to all!!!!!! Great site!!!

8. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Yeah they look like Barred Hollands to me lol pretty birds. And welcome!

9. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    I have a hen just like that with yellow ear lobes, Came from McMurray, they dont carry the breeds mentioned here. I also have 13 Barred rocks that look like Barred Rocks. In the bottom pic you can see the difference in the barring and body structure compaired to the BR Pullets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Desert Springs

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    thanks for sharing LFchix,

it was a real mystery for a long time but with the help from others I tracked and researched all the breeds that were suggested. Finally hit one that fit exactly!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by