purchased three bantams...but I think they threw in a pheasant...HELP!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joanwilson8, Apr 20, 2009.

1. joanwilson8

joanwilson8 New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    These guys are around 4 weeks old. I don't have any idea on the sex or breed. But one of them isn't really feathering and is making a totally strange sound. I don't know what to do? Can I even raise them together?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    The picture isn't working. What kind of sound does it make. Maybe it's just a roo trying to crow. I hope that's all it is.

3. joanwilson8

joanwilson8 New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    got the pictures up and working...help!

4. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    OH leave them together and just wait. I had chicks in with my adult pheasant until I could get their pen built.

If I am correct you are talking about the one alone in the picture?

I must say it does not look like any pheasant I have seen and all of them are adorable. Keep us posted to how he turns out, neat coloring.

5. joanwilson8

joanwilson8 New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    I'm asking about the middle chick in the first picture...is it a pheasant? It's fluffy...not feathery!

I'm curious as to the breed of the others and sex? Is it just too early to tell?

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    looks like a younger bird...probably not a bantam. Pheasant chicks have smaller stripes...usually

7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    The middle one is not a pheasant either. Just apparently taking longer to feather. It will be fine, don't worry. If it was a pheasant it would already have feathers also.

8. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Going by the last picture, I vote for vulture![​IMG]

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    probably just younger than the others, or maybe it is a vulture only time will tell [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  10. joanwilson8

joanwilson8 New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    I got them all a month ago so I know they are the same age. Talk about a late bloomer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by