Purchasing a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kjxoxo1, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    I would like to purchase an additional chicken goop already assembled. I need one that has electricall package inside and in the run. One thing is a must... The coop plus run needs to be at least 6 feet 5 in height ( I'm tall). I need it to house at least 40-50 chickens. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not able to build it myself. Thanks in advance!!

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Look into a portable sheds from Home Depot or Lowes. The birds will need roughly 4 sq ft of inside space per bird so a 10x20 or 12x20 for the coop and they need 8-10 sq ft of outside space so. A building that size will be awfully expensive with electrical. How come you cant build one? I hope this helps!

Nate

3. lethldragon

lethldragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you checked with locals that build storage sheds? Some of those would work great I think, if my daughters didn't use their playhouse, I would convert it, it's just a small storage shed with a porch built on and finished inside to make it a playhouse.

4. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank you both so much for your responses. I know nothing about building myself and do not want to deal with the frustration thatbwould surround it. This is why I want to purchase one. Thanks again!

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    http://www.adirondackstoragebarns.com/chicken-coops

I
    bought one of the Hen House Collection A-Frame coops from these guys and LOVE it. Really well built and super cute. I paid the $50 extra for the red metal roof which was kind of a waste because my girls kick up so much dust when they dust bath in front of their house, that it's usually brown.

Mine is in a covered, predator protected run so the house never gets wet. I suppose if it was out exposed, it'd get a wash down once in a while.

6. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    You can use a portable building for the hen house which is what I used and a chain link dog kennel10x20. You can check mine out on here its My Silkie Coop. If I had to do it over again I would have used the dog kennel instead of fencing mine in myself. Then you will only need to add roosts and nestboxes. If you use the metal building you will need to add some vents which I still have to do. You could put the kennel in front of the building and no need for pop door or like I did.

7. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Check craigslist. I have seen locals in my area advertising chicken coops or sheds, some are reasonable, others are expensive. Some even offer delivery to your home for a small fee. A shed can easily be converted into a coop. You can get really cheap and good quality windows for sale in craigslist. Check every day the free items as well. I hope this help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by