Purchasing a Silkie: Question about care

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cleoandclover, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Cleoandclover

Cleoandclover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    I'm buying a Silkie on Friday. I know the basics, but some info on breed specific care would be nice. I know to keep the Silkie out of the rain, trim her crest if it gets too big, and make sure none of the more aggressive chickens bully her. Is there any health problems I should watch out for? What should I expect behavior-wise? Thanks for the help. :)
    I'll post pictures once she gets home on Friday afternoon.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Silkies are susceptible to all of the common health problems of other chickens. However, they seem to be especially prone to head injuries, neurological problems, and vitamin deficiencies. The skull of a Silkie isn't fully closed at the top, so if they fall on their heads or get hit on the top of their head, they can suffer neurological problems or death. Make sure that they have a good balanced feed, and perhaps supplement with some vitamins.

I don't have Silkies, but I've heard that they are generally docile and sweet. Silkies are often low in the pecking order due to their submissive nature. So, they might get picked on by any other birds-- just keep an eye on them.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. country flock

country flock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have a small Silkie flock (see album on profile or in gallery) and they are very sweet, docile birds. They follow me all over and love when I'm around! My one rooster is maybe a little over-defensive, but he'll submit if he must! :) I like them a lot and recommend them to anyone who wants a cute, gentle pet. They love TLC!!!

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I also have silkies and the heath issues that are not mentioned in above post are that they can be more susceptible to wry neck. That can be caused from lack of vitamim E. make sure you supplement with vitamins a d b and espically E.out of my flock I've had two come down with it. I always supplemented with vitamins but not specifically E. That's important. You will just adore your silkies! They are calm and gentle and loving! They are the only breed I have. I just love them! Hope this helps you out. best wishes

5. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I just got my first 2 silkie chicks a little over a month ago and I absolutely love them! They are very sweet and lovey! Since this is my first time owning a silkie I don't know too much but I did read that they don't particularly do well in cold weather. Realsis, what do you use to supplement the different vitamins and at what age do you start giving the supplements?

6. Cleoandclover

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    Thank you for all the information. :) Can anyone recommend their favorite vitamin E supplement? I feed Scratch And Peck laying feed to my Seramas. Is that suitable for the Silkie, or should I buy her separate feed? I plan to keep her with my bantam Cochin who is very submissive and nonaggressive. The Silkie will come in to the house at night or if it gets really rainy outside(I have a large dog crate set up in my room, and a chicken diaper that belonged to the Cochin when she was younger.

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes! I buy a supplement From First State Vet online its a packet added to water called A D E vitamins. Then the B vitamin is from the same place and its called Vita Pro B. I also give a probotic powder mixed with water that's wonderful. You can give it to chicks too. Its called Pro bios.i order that online in a big jar from www.Probios.com. it adds benifical bacteria to the gut and helps fight off bad bacteria. It also cures loose stool or diarrhea. Its a wonderful product. I've given it to my birds since they were babies. It really helps their digestive system. Also great to give after worming or antibotic treatment. It has several different good bacteria in it. much more than they can get from plain yougart. Its a great product. I also use a little flock fuel for their health and feathers. As for feed I simply feed purenia layer feed. Depending on the birds age. Chicks I give purenia medicated chick starter. I give scrambled egg for protien and meal worms for a treat. I also give a SMALL amount of scratch for treat only. I provide grit which helps them digest their food. And layers get oyster shell for calcium. Hope this helps you out. I just love my silkies they are really special. If they are happy they actually purr!!!! Yesterday I took one of my birds out and was petting her and she started purring for me! Its the sweetest sound!! Silkies are amazing birds. Good luck. When is your silkie arriving?

8. Cleoandclover

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    Thanks for all the help with the supplements! I'm going shopping tomorrow, as I need to pick up the supplements, and, :rolleyes: the heat lamp broke again. The Silkie arrived today, and the one I picked out is a dark blue pullet who is about seven weeks. She's incredibly cute and sweet, and is still young enough she peeps. :D Not sure what I'm going to name her, but right now I just call her Silkie Baby. Maybe I'll name her Cobalt.
    Here's what she looks like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Serama's reaction to her:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Needless to say, they've never seen anything like her. I don't think they even know she's a chicken. :lol:

9. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Absolutely adorable! reminds me of my milly!! Here's my milly all grown up!!The camera made her look lighter but she's really as dark as night. :) she's my gift from God! I love her soo much! I had to cut a area around her eye so she could see. She's smiling for the camera[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  10. Cleoandclover

Jun 2, 2012
    Washington state
    How many I.U.s of vitamin E does my Silkie need? If it helps, she weighs 13.5 ounces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by