Purchasing Agent

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Big Red, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Red

Big Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    :(Looking for a purchasing person/agent/officer that is willing to purchase Chicken feed and (possibly day old chicks) ship it to me at possibly 100 bags at a time and the same for the chicks. They will ship to my US address which will intern be forwarded to me in the Cayman Islands.

The feed that we purchase here in the island does not meet the required needs of the Large breed and broiler chickens that i am raising.......Help needed.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Why don't you buy it yourself? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Might want to look into your export laws first. Even sending chicks to Canada from the US has lots of red tape. You can't air mail them in time to make it alive in many cases if you are too far away from hatcheries. So might want to take into consideration that day old chicks might not be able to make it to you alive even if direct air mailed.

For feed, there might be export rules on grain. I know on fruits, I can't even bring some types across the Canadian border. So that's just another thing to consider. If you need to make your own feed... maybe you can see if you can't find a local supplier of the base materials and buy the mineral mixes separate? Would likly cost less that way too!

4. Big Red

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Quote:I have tried.

5. Big Red

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Quote:The birds would go to Sprint Express Services in Miami, Florida and take one day to get to me. It's just the travel from the supplier that takes up the trip. As for the grain there is no problem. We currently have Country Acres feed here which is from Purina Mills which is so funny i tried to find it on there site and can't. So since i saw what they are offering i was interested in getting it since the feed they had was offering more to choose from that what they have on island. I checked with our Agriculture Dept and i was go to go.

This is what our laws require:
    B. IMPORT REQUIREMENTS

1) Under the Animals Law (2003 Revision) no animal of any description may be imported into the Islands from any country in Asia, Africa, Central and South America. Animals are also prohibited from Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico and Hispaniola.

2) All birds for importation shall be accompanied by a Health Certificate, issued within 14 days of arrival in the Cayman Islands and endorsed by a full-time salaried veterinary officer of the National Government of the country from which the birds are to be exported, stating:

a) The birds for export have been examined by him within the past 14 (fourteen) days and are free from signs of contagious and infectious disease;
    b) that the premises of the source flock is not located in any area under quarantine for notifiable diseases of poultry at any time during the preceding 90 days;
    c) that the flock(s) of origin was carefully examined by him and insofar as can be ascertained, no evidence of exposure to the following diseases within the past 90 days was found:
    i) All birds: Newcastle Disease, Avian Influenza, infectious coryza, infectious laryngotracheitis, fowl cholera, fowl plague, fowl typhoid, pullorum disease, ornithosis, Mycoplasma synoviae, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, avian encephalomyelitis, egg drop syndrome, Mareks disease.
    ii) Ducks: duck virus hepatitis, duck virus enteritis;
    iii) Pigeons: pigeon paramyxovirus;

Thanks for the info. I gotta try. If i can't get through so be it. I'll just have to get rid of my birds than to let them grow unhealthy.

I appreciate the help,

Luijaney

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    What kind of feed are you feeding them on? If it is Layer, they should be fine. For meat birds, that would be a challenge if the island depends on foreign import of butchered meat birds. You may have to settle on the heavy breeds to have meat birds.

Good luck!

7. Big Red

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Quote:They are currently on Layer but for the chicks i was looking to get the right feed to start them off with. But looks like i'm outta luck. You're right, i might just have to settle for the heavy breeds but once again was just thinking to strat them off right from chicks stage.

8. silkiechicken

I would imagine shipping to be a doozy. Looks like you have figured out the rules and that's always a good start. Is there a general purpose feed available maybe? An alternative to chick starter, is if you can find a game bird or turkey feed, and cut it with a flock raiser or general purpose feed of lower protein content.

9. Big Red

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Quote:Here's the set back....the population on this island is 60K and pretty much everything we get into the island is out of the US. Long story short!

So i am trying to get things on my own instead of going through a company on island.

I gotta laugh because i can get any other thing outta the US (Books, car parts, clothing, equipment) quicker than something for a chicken. Ain't that something....lol

10. silkiechicken

Closed by request of the OP. Thank you for participating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by