purchasing coturnix chicks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SantaFeUrban, Feb 14, 2014.

1. SantaFeUrban

SantaFeUrban New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    Is there anywhere that I can order Cortunix day old chicks before June?, and where would you recommend?

2. pigeons in ak

pigeons in ak Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    Alaska
    cackle hatchery has day old quail chicks

3. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    I charge $1.00 per chick, but I only sell locally. Cackle hatchery is charging over $2.00 a chick and they must have a tiny strain of Coturnix, mine are 10-12 oz when full grown. They say theirs only get 5-6 oz full grown.
    I would suggest finding someone locally to hatch for you. Or buy an inexpensive incubator and hatch eggs yourself.
    I charge $.30 per egg locally as a reference. You shouldn't have to pay much more.

Chicken-Farmer

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep an eye on your local craiglslist unless you are planning on buying a ton. Most places the minimum order to ship is 100 chicks.

5. barra060

barra060 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Craigslist is probably your best bet to find them locally and fast. There's at least a half dozen in my area available at any one time. You can also try Ebay for hatching eggs. Buygamebirds.com is also a site that will point you in the right direction. On the right of the home page you can search for coturnix quail (it's not alphabetical so it'll take a bit of searching) and it will give everyone that has subscribed that they sell them. You might want to try your local feed store, too, as many sell poultry or know of people that do.

6. SantaFeUrban

SantaFeUrban New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    Strangely enough New Mexico doesn't seem to have any Coturnix quail for sale. I've been scavenging Craigslist for quite some time now, which is why I was going to order a large quantity and split it between quite a few people I know here. Our local feed stores don't carry them either. "chicken-farmer" I think you're right and getting fertile eggs might be the way to go

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Have you checked Privett Hatchery in Portales? I have gotten quality chickens from them before, but I am not sure they carry quail. You might check them out. :)

8. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Buy an inexpensive incubator like the little giant, add eggs, and 17 days later you'll have chicks. Coturnix quail hatch in record time and grow extremely fast. It sounds like eggs would be your best bet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by