Purchasing options

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Shane17, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    I am trying to decide on waiting until early April to purchase chicks from a local feed store when they receive them or go to the local Tractor supply which is scheduled to get chicks at the end of Feb. I have read that the Tss only carries straight run options. I know the local feed store personnel and I am guessing they know more about the birds then the "kids" working in the chain store. However the feed store tells me they only carry Ameraucanas. I know what breeds I would like to get but don't want to order at least 15 chicks from the hatcheries and pay $40 in shipping. Any suggestions. Thanks.

2. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    TSC sell straight run and pullets. There are some places you can order a minimun of 5 like Cackle, Meyer, Randall Burke, however the shipping cost is high. TSC also has a program that you can order some chicks, have them delivered to your home, has more selection of breeds and shipping is included. TSC pays for it. Another option is check craislist for people selling chicks locally or in a reasonable driving distance. [​IMG]

3. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    yeah talked to tss today they will have birds in feb 27th and they will be sexed up to 90% at least . women also told me they can order me any breed i want with a min order of 6. so it works out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by