Purchasing started chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Peeps298, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Peeps298

Peeps298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Hi everyone, Im new to the world of chickens and I have a question about purchasing started or juvenile hens. I would like to purchase egg laying hens I can move right into the new coop Im building, I really dont want to raise them from day old chicks if possible and I dont want to purchase birds over a year old where their egg laying cycle is reduced by more than a year. I have noticed that McMurray Hatchery offers started egg laying pullets for sale, but does anyone know of any other hatcheries that offer the same? Are there any members out there from Long Island or the surrounding area who might know of hatcheries that sell started hens around 4 months old ? Im leaning toward ordering from McMurray but wanted to check with the forum first for your opinions on the topic.

Thank you,

Ed:cool:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

All I wanted to say was that I have heard that when you buy started pullets they are a little more skittish of human contact, and maybe less friendly (less petlike). But if this doesn't matter to you, then go for it!

I have successfully ordered day old chicks from McMurray Hatchery, and was pleased. But I haven't tried started pullets.

[​IMG]

3. Peeps298

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Thank you for the info. I really dont have a place in my home to raise day old chicks for a few months until they are ready to go in the coop. The started pullet seems perfect for me and yes i have heard the same about being skittish. Im hoping some extra tlc will cure them of this down the road.[​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Thank you for the info. I really dont have a place in my home to raise day old chicks for a few months until they are ready to go in the coop. The started pullet seems perfect for me and yes i have heard the same about being skittish. Im hoping some extra tlc will cure them of this down the road.[​IMG]

I tell you I have a LOT of skittish chickens anyway since I have more than 80! I don't just cuddle with them too much- there are too many. But they aren't unfriendly. They just like to walk around and look at me. Who's entertaining whom?

[​IMG]

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Moyers In Quakertown PA sells started pullets at about 17-18 weeks of age. I think they only have red sexlink & leghorn and I'm not sure if they ship, been awhile, so would have to check out their website. I picked up started pullets there a few years ago & they were great layers. Not sure if you could pick them up if they don't ship. Quakertown to LI shouldn't be too far.

6. Peeps298

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Thank you very much, that is a great tip, I will check into it. [​IMG][​IMG]

Ed

7. Peeps298

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:I called and spoke with Moyers, such nice people. I'm on the list to pick up two brown egg layers and two white egg layers the end of November and its only a 3 hour ride from home. Thank you so very much for your info Cindy, I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

Ed

8. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Chickens don't always follow the rules. The chickens I have gotten from farms have been more human shy than the one I got ready to lay from hatchery. And strange too when I let them out of the coup the ones that came to me which were free ranged don't hit the ground scratching anything near like the hatchery hens do.

It is nice to get eggs right away and by the time costs of feed, heat an losses are added up not a lot is saved getting $3 DO chicks and feeding them for 6 months vs getting POL hens for $10.

9. Peeps298

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Im sure like with many living creatures they all have their own tendancies. Getting the started birds just seems easier to me and I dont have a space in my house to raise day old chicks few a couple months anyway. Thank you for chatting! [​IMG]

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:I called and spoke with Moyers, such nice people. I'm on the list to pick up two brown egg layers and two white egg layers the end of November and its only a 3 hour ride from home. Thank you so very much for your info Cindy, I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

Ed

Glad it worked out for you. Three hours isn't too bad. I picked up Red Sexlinks from them in November 2004 at 17 weeks & had an egg the very next week! Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by