Pure blood stools?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mycountrygirls, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mycountrygirls

mycountrygirls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Virginia
    My EE pullet has been pooping pure blood but is otherwise healthy and gorgeous and very active. I'm thinking she ate some glass or something else sharp (there was an old homestead here 70+ yrs ago). I'm afraid the damage has been done and she may go quickly, but was wondering if any of you have had this happen? Any thoughts to other causes or anything I can do? I've never seen this before, but we found some glass near the coop a few days ago. We picked it all up but maybe she found it first [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. tuckertori

tuckertori Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I had the same thing happen 2 days ago. I found a mostly bloody poop and then one with a bit. I don't know which one came first, so I don't know if it is getting better or worse. I am anxious to hear other's thoughts.

3. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
  4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    My first thought was cocci. My chickens have never had it but I've heard it was pretty common. I hope it's nothing serious! keep us posted:)

5. tuckertori

Apr 22, 2011
    Well, I looked at the famous "poo chart" and hope it was the "intestine" photo although it did look more like the cocci photo. I haven't seen any new worrisome poo in 2 days, so that is likely a great sign. There hasn't been any in their coop where they roost and I can't imagine there wouldn't be a sign after 2 nights. My rose colored glasses say all is good. Hope that is what tomorrow says!....Hope you are finding the same thing true.

6. tuckertori

Apr 22, 2011
  7. mycountrygirls

mycountrygirls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Virginia
    Oh, sorry for the delay writing back, I'm new at this and thought it would tell me when someone else posted. Anyway... I'm not sure what it was - she never did act sick and is totally fine now. It was definitely just pure blood though, nothing else. tuckertori- I'm glad your birds are OK too! Thanks for the help and links.

8. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    That sounds like it could have been Coccidiosis, if so you can treat with Corid mix 2 teaspoons per 1 gallon of water for 3 days.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by