Pure Bred or Imposter (Mutt)- Lavender Blue Araucans!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckcluckluke, Oct 26, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Are these Araucans Pure Bred or Mutts- Sold to me as pure bred Araucanas . Got her down to $40.00 for the two and so lucky i did they are very scruffy but nothing a bit of care and a new molt wont do.

All i know is that they have to be either a slate grey color, black or some other plain color like a whitey grey.
    They Are Lavender Blue Araucanas, so the coloring is right and there legs are a slate grey as well but im still going to question there pureness.
    When i got them home one of the hens laid me her second (Lavender Blue colored) egg of the day, i was so excited when she did this, it was like the 3 hour car trip didn't even affect them!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cluckcluckluke

Hen 1 is the one in the nest hen two is much bigger standing up.

3. cluckcluckluke

Here are some more pictures, they have the strangest comb, its not a rose comb i think, its like really small and just single but fat.

4. cluckcluckluke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    where do you live? if in the U.S. then definately not...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

but if in the uk I believe they look pure bred
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ...wait a second... is the second one silkie feathered?! if so then i dont think so...

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    do they have silkie type feathers?? as it looks it to me in the pictures

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I was thinking the same thing. OP seemed to be talking American dollars, so that led me to think they're in the states, so those are mixed breed birds. Pretty, rough-looking mixes.

8. cluckcluckluke

i live Australia, and yes there feathering is like down, exactly like a silkies. I was scared that they weren't going to be pure bred. Do you reckon that i got ripped of- Australian $40.00 for both.
    They do lay a lavender blue egg which is what the breed should. They seem to big to be crossed with a silkie.

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    well I know there's people in the USA making silkied feathered ameraucanas so maybe they are too. If not you have a great start on the project [​IMG]

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I can only comment on U.S. Araucanas--they wouldn't be anything close to a purebred here. They really look suspiciously like they have a silkie somewhere in their bloodline.

Here is the American Araucana Standard of Perfection: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/AraucanaStandard.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by