1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Pure bred Sexlinks anyone?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmerChef, Aug 21, 2011.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That listing is an oxymoron. I cannot imagine how knowledgeable that seller is. I am trying to be kind here. Let me find the word...... ah, yes. Bogus.

I'm sure this a "home brew" red sex link and that's fine. But the choice of the words purebred is absurd.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG] just [​IMG]

My gosh... [​IMG]

4. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    If you look at the pictures, they are of sexlinks, not 2 different breeds together to create sexlinks.

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

... and therefore the chicks from any eggs laid by the sexlinks could be from 0% to 100% of either parent breed of the sexlinks. The mind boggles at the possible genetic confusion.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It is possible to breed 'purebred' sexlinks, you could breed black copper and cuckoo marans and get a sex-link and I'm sure you could do it with other breeds that have patterned (barred, laced, etc) and non-patterned varieties, but those are red-sexlinks (probably RIR and leghorn crosses) so they are already mixed. Just someone trying to jump on the 'egg selling' train [​IMG]

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Does that matter? If they are home made sex links, that'd be OK. If they are second gen Sex Links, then the sexing by feather comments in the text are not accurate, as you kown, gen 2 won't hatch sexable. But.... still, either way, we're stuck with the "purebred" description. It's a head scratcher, that's for sure.

8. farmerChef

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Fred's Hens :

Quote:Does that matter? If they are home made sex links, that'd be OK. If they are second gen Sex Links, then the sexing by feather comments in the text are not accurate, as you kown, gen 2 won't hatch sexable. But.... still, either way, we're stuck with the "purebred" description. It's a head scratcher, that's for sure.

They are saying the eggs they would send you will be sexlinked. White chicks= rooster, red= hen. You could have purebred sexlinks by breeding different colors of the same breed as shelleyd2008 said.​

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

They are saying the eggs they would send you will be sexlinked. White chicks= rooster, red= hen. You could have purebred sexlinks by breeding different colors of the same breed as shelleyd2008 said.

To add to that, the 'breed' listed in that auction are red sex-links. The birds the eggs are coming from are sex-links--birds that are already crossed to produce a chick that can be sexed at hatch. Crossing a rooster and a hen from those breeds will not give you more sex-links since the roo and hen carry both the white and red genes. I always get it messed up, but I believe a red sex-link is 'made' by crossing a white cock bird (like a rhode island white or white leghorn) with a red bird (like a rhode island red or new hampshire red). Granted, a RIW and RIR cross would be a 'purebred' sex-link, but the offspring from the sex-linked chicks would not be sex-linked.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Oh dear. I think maybe someone should send the seller a polite email advising them they're a bit mixed up on their facts. I'd imagine this is a genuine mistake caused by confusion and lack of information on their part and not a serious attempt to rip people off. Plus all the pictured birds do look nice and healthy and well kept. But if anyone buying these eggs is expecting sexlink chicks they're going to be disappointed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by