1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pure breed Barred Rock cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Abby4501, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Abby4501

Abby4501 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2014
    Im wondering if this baby is pure barred rock. I got some fertilized eggs for my broody hen to sit on. The eggs were from a coop of only barred rock roosters and then a mix of hens(barred rock, Plymouth whites, RIR, and a couple others I can't remember). They're about 2 1/2 weeks old now.
    This one I believe is a roo due to the developing comb, and the light color. But mostly I'm wondering if he looks to be pure?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. Abby4501

Sep 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

The one on the left

3. Abby4501

Sep 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    So, if it is a boy, and it does show a lot of white, that indicates it got two copies of the barring gene - which unless any of the moms were other barred breeds, would indicate a pure BR. More black (typical female BR coloring) indicates one barring gene, so if it is a boy with that coloring then it is a mix. He doesn't look quite as white though as some other BR cockerels I've seen, so I couldn't say for sure which of the above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by