PURE O.E.G. or are they x's?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Genetic Rooster, May 16, 2011.

1. Genetic Rooster

Genetic Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Augusta
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These have been represented as pure Old English Game fowl, and I was interested in getting them, but wanted another opinion from BYC'ers if these were Pure birds...thx

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    dont see anything

3. Genetic Rooster

Apr 13, 2011
    Augusta
    Sorry about that..uploading pics is almost as new as chickens.
    The 2 birds now show....just wondering what you guys/ gals think about these Old English Game Fowl..pure or mixed.......and if they could possibly be show birds?

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I do not think those are OEGs, they look like American Games to me, I have had standard OE and their stations have not been that high, and they weren't as thick in the body as my AG.

5. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    American Game Cocks..

6. Genetic Rooster

Apr 13, 2011
    Augusta
    so then this is an americam game as well?
    [​IMG]

and this?
    [​IMG]

sorry for all the questions..and thanks for all the help...
    BTW...what are good rules of thumb for making an Id for one or the other...as these birds can be very expensive.?

7. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    That first one is either an american game cock or an old english standard game cock....

8. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
  9. Genetic Rooster

Apr 13, 2011
    Augusta
    thx game...the reason I ask, and am so curious is that I think I have found a path I like in chickens besides just raising them for feathers eggs, and meat.....the cross white game I have has made an impression on me, and would like to breed them for show...but wish to go in the OLD english direction...and need to be able to ID the difference...which appears hard atm . any, and all help is appreciated.

10. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:some lines of American games have changed very little since they first came over from the UK waaayyyy back, making some families "passable" as old english. The two main things to remember is largefowl OEG's always have red earlobes, straight combs, white legs (unless they are crow wing varieties or blue, then its black or blue). At least they should, sometimes if you get hatchery stock that's not the case. I had largefowl OEG's at one time and they had different leg colors. Had I known at the time I would have bred towards white legs, but bred to blue legs instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by