Pure RIR Eggs - $10/dozen. Combined S&H

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Omniskies, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    These eggs are from a pure flock of first-year layers. I finally got around to checking fertility and everything looks great with the eggs we have in the incubator right now.

Asking $10 a dozen, plus S&H (that's been averaging around $10 for most places). I can ship up to two dozen eggs in a single box.

I will be shipping the eggs out on Monday.

I'm still new to shipping eggs. I use plastic air bags and scrawl all over the box so there's no way anyone can miss that there are babies on board. As of today I have an assortment of different-colored markers to really make your box bright and gaudy.

Being new to this egg shipping thing, I'm trying out a guarantee of sorts. I guarantee at least half of your chicks will begin to develop or you get to try again for half the cost of the dozen (so $5 for another full dozen, plus shipping).

Contact me within 14 days of shipping with a picture of the undeveloped eggs (cracked open) and I will send out another batch of eggs. Hopefully this keeps you safe from things like a sudden freeze when shipped, cracked eggs, or x-rays.

I can probably get up to 4-5 dozen eggs, none more than two days old when shipped. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Just a little bump [​IMG] I still have eggs available.

3. GaHermit

GaHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Hoboken Ga
    Weather is too cold they will die. sorry but if get below 45% they just become eating eggs. if they freeze they will be garabge.

Herm

4. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    That's one of the reasons we're not shipping out right now. There's a cold snap in the area with miserable temperatures. Last I heard it was going to clear up this weekend and be better next week - hence shipping Monday.

Tonight it's supposed to be 0 F and it's only 11 F outside right now. Saturday it'll be in the low 50s.

If you live up north then I doubt eggs will make it to you this time of year. As long as you check the weather I don't see why eggs can't make the trip. I have some eggs in the incubator I had shipped to me that are growing so far (fingers crossed). They're supposed to hatch in six days.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I am putting together an incubator load for school. The chick will go to the HS FFA chapter. Can I get a deal on 2 dozen?

6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

do you have pics

7. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Sure thing, I can definitely do a discount for a school project. I'll send you a PM.

I'll try to get pictures this weekend.

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I assume you meant below 45 degrees? If so, that's not exactly true. I am in Colorado and have been receiving eggs. One egg from each shipment has been sacrificed & had a thermometer probe put in it. Eggs temperatures have been around 40 degrees when I get them, and they are still hatchable.

The current batch of silkie eggs in my incubator showed about 42 degrees internal egg temperature, and 17 out of 18 are looking excellent at day 7 candling.

9. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Wow, I didn't know that. That's awesome, Bearded Chick.

You said you put a thermometer in the egg. At what temperature do you decide the eggs won't hatch?

Do you do anything special with the eggs that you think makes them hatch better?

10. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, take what I found with a big fat grain of salt. [​IMG]

Yeah, I have a good probe thermometer so I just put a small hole in one egg and check the temperature as soon as the eggs arrive. I have not received any frozen eggs yet.

One batch of 6 eggs was stuck in the mail for a couple days due to bad weather - I thought for sure they were goners - and one chick managed to hatch (I know that batch was down to the low 40's when it arrived).

I also shipped an accurite thermometer from CO to VA before the holidays - one that would track the low temperature during shipping. It was lost in the mail during very cold weather until well after Christmas. The low temperature it recorded was 41 degrees. It got to VA, my family cleared the memory on it, and sent it back. The low temperature on the way back was 43 degrees.

It's not any kind of definite proof that shipped eggs won't freeze, but so far my results are that they are not freezing on their way to my house. [​IMG] But I am starting to think rough handling of boxes is more of a problem around the holidays.

On the last batch, I also tested how fast they warm up because I wanted to know if they could go from frozen temperatures to the 40's in a short period of time. I found that unpacked eggs warm up at about 10 degrees per hour if they are in a 70 degree house. What this means to me is it's very unlikely that my shipped eggs are really going much below 40 degrees and then warming up before I can tell how cold they really got. It just takes them too long to warm up in all that insulated packing...

Remember - big grain of salt because at this point it's a one-rat experiment (me being the test rat).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by