Pure welsummer leg coloring???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mikenandrea, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mikenandrea

mikenandrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Douglas, GA
    Ok.. I thought Purebred welsummers were all suppose to have yellow legs?
    Can anyone tell me why these would have dark smokey gray?

[​IMG]

It's the ones directly in the middle.. These are the only 2 that have coloring this way..

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Welsumers are to have yellow legs.
    At some point your bird's ancestors have been crossed to another breed, (maybe a Marans?).

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Yes, they have yellow! that one might have had a ancestor who had legs like that. Did you hatch them or buy them? Maybe they are a different breed????

4. mikenandrea

Jun 1, 2009
    Douglas, GA
    I purchased the eggs from someone here..

5. Krys109uk

I purchased the eggs from someone here..

Have you contacted the breeder to tell them of the incorrect leg colour?​

6. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    If these were eggs from me all my birds have yellow legs and so has every chick I have hatched. I did not have marans at the time of these eggs.The marans I got at the cedartown swap, they are not of age to be making any chickies yet. My wellies have always been in a pen by them selves never mixed with anything else
    This is a bad pic the birds are molting but they all have yellow legs
    [​IMG]

7. mikenandrea

Jun 1, 2009
    Douglas, GA
    Yea, they were the ones we bartered [​IMG]
    hmm, I dont know then? Maybe the grandparents of the birds were mixed? They had dark legs as chicks as well.. I just assumed that it didnt really matter until I was just browsing some posts here. Dont get me wrong.. They are beautiful birds as they are!! But when they get laying age, I think I am going to sell them off as pairs with a rooster..

8. Krys109uk

If the birds with dark legs are all females, it is possible that the father had only one sex linked "inhibitor of dermal melanin" (Id) gene on the Z chromosome. This would not show on the father but would cause about 50% of his female offspring have incorrect dark legs.

9. Krys109uk

I think I am going to sell them off as pairs with a rooster..

Not meaning to be unkind, but it does not do a breed any favours to have incorrect stock sold for breeding, though I know lots of people do.​

10. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Maybe you could just sell them as laying hens. A lot of people just want laying hens for eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by