Pure White Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ClareScifi, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    How fun to have my first pure white egg laying hen!

Today we did a lesson on the Trinity in Sunday School, using an egg to demonstrate what a trinity is-- 3 in one-- shell, yolk, and white!

One little Preschooler said to me, as I was cracking the egg, "You are so smart to think of this!" They all loved the lesson. I had dyed the pure white egg green to tie in with our St. Patrick's Day theme, and I must say the white eggs certainly dye up the prettiest!

The preschoolers are going to have a blast with all these pure white eggs I'm saving for them to dye for Easter! I don't eat eggs, so this will be a great use for them. I'll hardboil them and send them home with them, in their pretty, colored shells!

The brown and cream eggshells dye up very pretty, too, but I love the clear bright colors the pure white shells take on. (I only bought about 50 different egg-dying kits on Easter clearance last spring)!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I just got some Leghorns for white eggs. I never had any white egg layers, so I'm real excited about it! Congrats on your nifty white eggs!!!!

3. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Thank you so much, howfunkyisurchicken!

I found out today that leghorns need layer mash more than other breeds of hens to have the best production of eggs. Other chickens can do just fine on Chicken Grower with supplemental calcium, but leghorns do best with layer mash. I thought that was very interesting to learn.

So far I've had 5 hens total. The two Barred Rocks never laid a soft shelled egg, ever, and neither has my Silver-Laced Sebright Bantie. But both of my half White Leghorn girls have. They are just starting to lay and have been doing so about a month. Both have laid soft shelled eggs. The leghorns must take a bit more calcium, but I have heard they are the very best egg producers there are, and they'll lay even in the winter, so that's great!

I am dying some more of their eggs right now. They dye up just gorgeous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by