Pure white ??

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Ok, So i have a solid white hen who is currently hatching me out some babies. Last I checked she had one or two that looked to be solid white. Now she was bred by a white drake and a black bibbed wild drake. So could these solid yellow pink billed / pink legged ducklings be pure white? or are these possibly from my black drake and just the white took over completely? isnt white recessive?

From MDC's genetics page:
White is incompletely dominant gene in Muscovy so breeding white birds to any other color often results
in 'pied' birds. To the experts, these birds are actually white birds with haphazard color. Heterozygous
whites, as ducklings, have yellow down with black patches on the cap of their head which are present
only until the first molt. Heterozygous adults are pure white. Homozygous white ducklings have yellow
down without the black caps. They, too, are completely white as adults. Both will have pink bills and
feet.

So no, white is not recessive.
wink.png

Oh wow, my head hurts. So does that mean that even if its a black drake over a white hen that my "white" babies are still a mix of colors? Im asking because i have a guy who wants solid whites for breeding stock and i cant sell him ducklings that arnt all white in the background.

Quote:
have you seen mine? don't mean to brag lol but mine is a beauty!

Well a picture would help! lol

oh well i guess i could put some up originally.. my brain is gone..

46966_silly_girl.jpg

46966_quackers_and_mom.jpg

46966_quackers_and_mom_0.jpg

46966_quackers_so_cute.jpg

46966_quackers_on_eggs_04.jpg

Back
Top Bottom