Pure Wild Junglefowl Cock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PortugalBreeder, Jun 21, 2011.

1. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
  2. PortugalBreeder

Oct 9, 2010
    Sorry posted this in the wrong section, someone please move it to "Breeds, Genetics, & Showing"

3. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    so that is the ancestor of our domestic chicken, really???

nice birds

4. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I really like that yellow coloring inside its comb

Beautiful bird

5. PortugalBreeder

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Some people say that the modern chicken may have small percentage of all the gallus species (specially from Gallus Varius for the green/blue egg gene) but isn't proved. So today is considered that the ancester of our chickens is the Gallus Gallus.

The Gallus Genus:
    * Red Junglefowl, Gallus gallus
    * Sri Lanka Junglefowl, Gallus lafayetii
    * Grey Junglefowl, Gallus sonneratii
    * Green Junglefowl, Gallus varius

6. PortugalBreeder

Oct 9, 2010
  7. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    You can definitely see more of the chicken in the red junglefowl.

Can chickens and junglefowl produce fertile offspring together?
    Like if I were to get a sri lanka junglefowl cock like the one you showed first, would it be able to breed with a game hen?

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

We just saw a male and a female (Wild Sri Lanka Junglefowl) in the NYC Central Park Zoo! The roo is so pretty. The hen looks more like a large quail than a chicken.

9. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thank you for the G. gallus clip!!

This says Red Junglefowl, but it is probably not the same thing, right?

10. PortugalBreeder

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Yes they will. But you should never do that, not even think about it, future generations would be very mad at you.
    Let me explain, nowadays this wildfowl face extinction, and it's not extinction by fisically vanishing but by genetic pollution because where they are native from the villagers have domestic chickens and sometimes wildfowl may breed with them which produces a birds that is neither a wildfowl neither a domestic breed its an mongrel dog from the bird world, that will further pollute the wild populations. So, this almost uncontrollable mistakes are bad enough, no need for people to do it voluntarily (which unfortunately still happens).
    Some people nowdays believe they may be already extinct, but it's not widely accepted.
    Consequences of this:
    -It's is extremely difficult to find a pure bird in captivity (and catch wild ones may not be the solution because of the problem referred before, also it's illegal); In united states may be impossible, even at zoos (that don't sell animals for start) birds are not pure because of mistakes made(like this referred www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6625194#p6625194);
    -A
    pure bird with DNA certificate retails for a LOT MORE that a regular chicken (sometimes hundreds of euros~=dollars) that's is why many people try to fool others, be careful; And are so exclusive that many sellers require you to be a WPA member to buy one from them.

So, don't think about doing that, and spread the message. Thanks

About what you said regard their looks, hens have to be like that because when they are brooding their eggs they must not to be seen by predators (camouflage) while cocks can escape, hens don't even have a comb. And in pure jungle fowl at the end of the breeding season cocks molt to a less showy plumage (no need to impress the girls anymore) called 'eclipse molt' so that they can go more unnoticed.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by