Purebred A&M

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Whitehouse Quail, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    All right, so throughout the history of the A&M and Jumbo quail, they are CONSTATLY inbred without the right characteristics, like all white meat, fast growth, and maxiumum output. Where can you get the most true bloodlines?

Thanks!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    There Are No White Meat Coturnix...... In Any Strain Or Bloodline. Even Dr Thornberry's Originals Were Not White Meat-- Thats The Biggest Myth Surrounding The A&m Strain, Always Has Been.... Sorry [​IMG]

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I agree that the A and M were contantly inbred...BUT they did come from the English white coturnix:)..I believe it was tried to be the next table bird like the the chicken but it could never get the white meat, no not pretty to the consumer??? I breed for purest lines...I got my originals from Oregon State University who got it transferred from TAMU but how to prove it didn't come from the side of the road (But my proffessor is a quail fanatic and I give him all the credit making me one too ;P)? JJ and I talked about it earlier in the year [​IMG]

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Yes, Texas A&M's size and color of the meat is a myth.

Myself as probably many members here, have both jumbo browns and A&M's I do not see any difference in meat color. They are both delicious Yum Yam. (Good Lord made birds of meat for us to eat).

I find jumbo browns little tougher, meaning, A&M's are more prone to "accidents" (drowning, etc.)

However the white ones are easier to process, my wife appreciates this. We do not skin them off, the flavor is in the skin!

So I will continue to hatch, raise, and enjoy their eggs and meat, both Jumbo Browns and Texas A&M's.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    the A&M 's / English whites seem like they hatch right on day 16 for me all the rest come day 17-18 . I am just starting to cull on my golden and browns I have only been keeping the large birds and largest eggs are the ones I have been hatching they seem like the average size is getting larger.

6. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    You will spend forever searching for the GREAT WHITE QUAIL....sadly it is far and few between anymore. I use to have some White birds of good size. But my BIG Jumbo Browns were always BIGGER. Coturnix are a fun quail and easy to raise. But I love bobwhites for the taste...look..and vocalizations.
    [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:MOBY QUAIL! THERE SHE CROWS!

[​IMG]

YEAH SAM'S BEEN ON THIS QUEST BEFORE~

8. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Want white meat eat bobs (Heaven on a plate)

9. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:You are wrong! There are giant 2+ lbs. all white/white meat coturnix. I read about them all the time on the internet, so it must be true [​IMG]

Do you get much hate mail because you don't believe the A&M myth?

Just waiting for people to get the wrong impression.....

I really wish the TEXAS A&M vernacular would be dropped from any strain/bloodline of coturnix. They do not exist! They never really made it out of the TA&M lab, and the only reason they have so much "paperwork" associated with them is because the university had to account for all the money they spent on producing a "CHICKEN REPLACEMENT" that went no where!

Just my opinion. [​IMG]

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    That's an interesting theory, are there any records, pictures, documentation from their research or project? Any people who did participate in development of Bog White Whale ? ....sorry Quail

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by