Purebred Female Cayuga - Maine

Both our chicken coop and duck pen are build like Fort Knox. Kiera disappeared while free ranging and ducknapping had crossed our minds.

I followed up on two of the three listings from Craigs List (one I had originally followed up with). I am waiting to hear back from one and I am in contact with the other. I have modified my CL search so I will get better results. I'll keep looking.

Thanks so much for the support and I'll keep you posted. :)

bigal11, thanks so much for responding. For the first two days, we combed every square inch of our property (and all our neighbors) several times looking for her besides calling for her for about four days (even Gabrielle was calling for her). We even looked where we knew she couldn't go just to make sure she wasn't there either. They come when they are called and the two are not apart. She does like to hide in the Rhododendron out back to lay her eggs (not so secret if someone knows about it, huh?) but it's a small one so it's not like she can disappear in there. Besides, we collect eggs every day from both of them and neither have ever been broody before. I wish that was the case and she'll just waddle back but I know that's not going to happen. :(

I wondered about the hidden clutch theory too. My ducks find the darndest places to lay eggs that make every egg collection day like an Easter egg hunt!

My hunch though is she might have been ducknapped by someone who was taken with the beauty and unusual coloring of Cayugas. If she was, at least Kiera may be having a comfortable life somewhere else...
But I would personally dope-slap the jerk who made off with her.
tongue.gif

Kiera likes to hide in Rhododendron, covering over the egg with leaves. Sneaky girl. That was one of the first places I looked because she was just there on that Sunday. She used to go under the porch steps sometimes but we rebuilt those. There were only a couple of spots where she would go and she was in none of those places. And as I mentioned above, we collect eggs every day so there's no way she can be sitting on a clutch. We would have found her by now. It's been a week today.

I would gladly have you do that if that's the case, GardenerGal! Unfortunately, I think she's waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge. wah! :(

I expanded my Craigs List search to NH and MA. Nothing in MA but I've sent two emails to NH on available ducks. Well, one was available free to a home (a Black Swedish) and one was looking for a pal for their lone duck. I asked if she would be willing to rehome her duck. Just waiting on responses from both. Plus waiting on another response from one in ME. I will keep looking!

Yes, in my heart of hearts I think you're right, but there is always that glimmer of hope! I once had a pair of East Indies, both females. I kept them with my other waterfowl. One day, they vanished, poof! I thought a fox had managed to climb over the high fence and into the waterfowl pen, and that was that. Then I remembered that being small ducks, they could fly. When I got them, their wing feathers had been clipped, but I didn't keep a watch on their molting. Of course, after molting they grew new flight feathers and flew the coop! A year later, I saw them -- still together -- happily paddling in a tidal estuary a short walk from my house.

Anyway, I wish you good luck in finding a new pal for Gabrielle, and I'll await your next report of how things are going.

Last edited:
Still looking for a buddy! How long can she be a lone duck? I still think getting her a pal is my first choice and rehoming is my second choice.

Still looking for a buddy! How long can she be a lone duck? I still think getting her a pal is my first choice and rehoming is my second choice.

Back
Top Bottom