Purebred Female Cayuga - Maine

Scooterward, I think she is fine as a "lone duck" for now. As long as she sees you daily, she has a "flock." Having chickens nearby probably helps, too. If you're looking for a free re-home duck, you could try checking with your local animal shelter (of all places!). Sometimes they get abandoned ducks or know someone who is trying to re-home one. I know that here in northeastern Massachusetts we have Nevins Farm, a branch of our local SPCA, which re-homes barnyard fowl and livestock, although they request a donation. If you don't mind paying for a buddy, I believe BYHer Learycow said she has some female Pekins (I was thinking of buying one or two myself) that are young but fledged. Pekins are friendly and make great companion ducks.

Ooops! Sorry for the triple post back there _ computer hiccup.

Thanks for the additional info! We also have an SPCA and it the next town over. I tried looking on their site but it's not working properly for me. I will probably just go there. I know that they specialize in horses but I know they have other animals there too. I looked up Nevins Farm and will continue to monitor their site. My local shelter never crossed my mind. Thanks for that tip.

One of the breeds we don't want is Pekin (the other two are Campbell and Runner). I will continue my expanded search. Though she has us and the chickens, I want her to have a pal, especially in the cold weather and winter.

Thanks!

What ever you do DON'T give her up without do a unannounced vist! This is from experience. Have 2 ducks & had them since they were babies. Bought them at R.K. my back yard is not set up the way I thought it should be to make them happy. A friend offersd to help fix up yard. They too just have turttle pool for swimming. Friend backed out of helping fix yard. I thought they would be happyer somewhere else beside free ranging in my yard with just a turttle to swim in. Saw an ad on craigslist, they were selling goats (for pets only) and what else... EGGS! Well not just chicken eggs but turkey eggs and (drum roll) DUCK EGGS! Wow how great could that be, they had chickens,ducks,turkeys goats peacocks donkeys, horses,rabbits and horses.they assured me the ducks were free ranging had 3 kiddie pools that got cleaned twice a day. Compared to my place it sounded like duck heaven, what more could I or my ducks want. I'll tell you what we wanted, my yard and my turttle pool. We have grass clean water and noone is attacking them. I was told that ducks like to make their water dirty. No, when I turn on the sprinkler for them they get excited because it means bugs are going to appear. Yes they get muddy then they get in their pool and wash off. They trust me. See they are already in their heaven. Is it perfect? It is for them. They don' t know places exsit where there's no grass, no clean water or peace of mind that your not going to be harrassed and I have three dogs who leave them alone or walk away when thevducks approach them. What has your duck have....you.

Sorry didn't mean to ramble. Hope the best for you from the bottom of my heart, and my grass , my turttle & trust. If I could take your pain away I would.

Thanks for the reply duckers! I totally understand what you mean. I think that Gabrielle is still very happy where she is. She's got a great little set up. At this point, I would have such a hard time rehoming her that the only way I ever could is if she took a turn for the worse because she was all alone and she HAD to be with a duck friend. But, as was said in an earlier post, she's got us and she's got the chickens, she's got her yard and the brook and the kiddie pool and the tubby, get's treats and loving every day. She's doing fine right now. Just still searching daily for a friend for her. I do know that a pal will come along. I just have to be diligent and patient. :)

GUESS WHAT!?

I am going to pick up a duck tomorrow morning! Yay!
wee.gif
Her name is Dot and she is a three year old Ancona.

I hope all goes well and that Dot and Gabrielle will be good friends.

smile.png

BUMMER! I am sooooo disappointed! I just got another email and we are not getting Dot. :( wahhhh! I am so disappointed I can't even say how much.

I had found her through an ad on Craigs List. Even though it was 2.5 hours away (one way), I totally was going to go tomorrow morning. We have been emailing back and forth all morning. But then he just emailed stating that she has now decided to sit on a clutch of eggs. And she was adamant about it. He was going to rehome her because she has never been the mothering type at all.

So, back to my hunt. I know the right one will come along.

Not that I want to jinx anything but... I found a friend for Gabrielle and I am picking her up this evening! So very excited!

Her name is Claudette and she is a two year old Rouen. And she lives in the next town over from me.

wee.gif

Hoping all works out well!

Followed the posts, awesome that it worked out. I haven't had my chickens long, but they really do grow on you. One you would have thought is my best buddy, she follows me around the yard like my shadow if I'm doing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom