"purebred" partridge bantam cochins hatched a black one?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wildflower&Loganberry, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Wildflower&Loganberry

Wildflower&Loganberry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Milton, WI
    Hi Friends [​IMG]

A friend of mine recently gave my family 10 partridge bantam cochin chicks that the mama had sneakily hatched out in a corner. He was getting rid of them and the rooster that bred with her because one of the little guys turned out black (with a bit of white on his chest) and he said the rooster must not have been purebred.

I know NOTHING about cochins yet except that they are cute little fluffballs right now (about 8 or 9 weeks old).

I read that partridge cochins were created by mixing two breeds, one being a black cochin, so is it possible that the black was a gene from way back or something?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Wildflower

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they have the type, they are pure bred. The whole color thing is a mixed bag and the colors black and white can be hidden left and right. Nothing wrong with throwing a funny colored chick, just take them out of the breeding scheme.

But I'm not a breeder or genetics expert.

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

strange colors can crop up out of anywhere especially if they are not show birds and have been selectively bred

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I once had a chick that hatched that was a dark wild type. The chicks was almost black- you could se the wild type down but it was very dark. The chick developed into a black breasted red rooster (normal color). There are genes that can effect chick down but not adult plumage.

Tim

5. Wildflower&Loganberry

Wildflower&Loganberry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Milton, WI
    Thanks so much for the responses![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by