Purebred seramas? Colors?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TurtleFeathers, Sep 11, 2009.

1. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    A friend and I have been discussing some of my "seramas" and she doesn't think these are purebred, especially the girls. I will admit that the girls have small combs, and that they don't have picture perfect stances when I point my camera at them, but I don't know what to think.

I hatched these 5 from eggs that I got from a BYC member and two different eBay sellers about January and March of this year. Can I get some opinions from the serama experts, please?

And if its possible, can you give me an idea of their colors? I can't seem to find anything matching them on the genetics calculator.

#1 (5 months old in this pic):
    [​IMG]

#2 (5 months old in this pic - from same breeder as #1):
    [​IMG]

#3 (8 months old in this pic unrelated to roos above):
    [​IMG]

#4 (6 months old in this pic - from same breeder as #3):
    [​IMG]

#5 (6 months old in this pic - from separate breeder than all of the above):
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Seramas don't have a standard set for color, so all the colors you pictured are acceptable for Seramas. I'm not an expert on size and stance, but they look like Seramas to me - I don't know how they compare to show-quality.... Roo #2 has a pretty nice stance, especially at that age. Getting weights on them might help.

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    They look like seramas to me! I have 1 just like the first pullet.

4. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    those are beautiful seramas! the last one looks like a black tailed white Japanese bantam pullet to me though [​IMG] i have a black tailed buff jap. roo that looked similar to that when he was little.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Someone told me once that there are something like 2000 color patterns for Serama and that are bred for form NOT for color as they do not breed true to color.

Here is a site with some great Serama info

http://www.jerrysseramasllc.com/about.htm

Yours are gorgeous Serama!

6. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Thanks everybody! I'm so glad my guys passed your inspection! I don't show, but I would still like to raise nice quality babies...

The reason I was asking about their colors was because I've got 8 chicks that hatched in August. So far, 5 of them are feathering out very much like the white hen (#5), but maybe with a little more black. So I don't know if the white is coming from hen #5 or roo #2. The other 3 chicks are a light red color, but I don't know if the red is coming from hen #3 or hen #4 or roo #1. And if all they'll produce is red and white varations, then I'm wondering if I should add some new colors...

I guess thats a thread for the genetics section tho, and I don't suppose it matters what colors came from what parent - but I have someone interested in buying my chicks, and I was hoping I could tell them who might be related to who... Ah well...

Thanks again!

7. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I am sorry, but the only one that could possibly be a seramas are the roosters, and even they aren't very good quality. the hens are most likely mixed breeds, very horizontal. Check out my page for what a serama is supposed to look like.

8. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    the last one looks exactly like my black tailed white japanese pullets that are 5-7 months old

9. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I think that you have some nice Serama's!!! I would keep doing what you are doing... You may have some that some people don't like but that does not make them bad... Mine may not be what other poeple like, but I love them and that is all that matters... I don't know about you, but I can't go and spent $100 on 1 chicken so I have what I was told was Serama's and to me that is all that I need...

10. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Please, don't take this as an offense, but I disagree. People do lie, and just because they call them seramas, doesn't mean they are. Sometimes a different rooster slips in to the breeding pen and makes mixes. Seramas are a distinctive breed and they have a set standard, and if a chicken called a serama is very different from the standard, it is assumed it is a mix or very bad. Those are not bred, because the offspring would be even farther from the standard. It dilutes the breed. Bad birds make wonderful pets, and are just as fun to have around. They still fertilize gardens and lay eggs. They are still adorable. They are still (often) tiny and cute. I will get off my soapbox now [​IMG]

ETA: my 1,001 post!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by