purebred what?? or a mutt??

evonne

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Las Vegas
got this guy today from craigs list.. he was free... he has a gimpy leg... it got broken a few months back, but the guy i got him from was told if he gets around okay and he's eating htere was no reason to put him down... there was no pic on CL, just said he was a barred rock...
i'm not so sure about that.. he has a couple barred rock hens, and a couple RIR hens..and this one was sposed to be a hen too...

we're calling him Gimpy i think

42437_gimpy_11-29_4.jpg

42437_gimpy_11-29_2.jpg

42437_gimpy_11-29.jpg

he has a little red leaking through on some of his feathers.. and the tail feathers where they are black have that green shimmer to them....
i looked at pics of barred rock, cuckoo marran, and dominique roos, but he doesn't really look like either....
when i asked the guy where they came from he said " some hillbilly yahoo across town" rofl....

thoughts??

I vote for a BR mix. Doesn't look like a purebred to me, but he straight comb and complete barring looks like a barred rock was definitely involved. Is his leg broke at the knee? Poor thing. I am glad that you rescued him since he is able to get around just fine.

Hes beautiful whatever he is. Crele something maybe? IDK
BUT he is an older bird from the looks of his shanks I think i see. If that is what i think i would say 2 oe 3 yrs maybe?

hhmmm he does look a lot like a BSL roo doesn't he....
i'd never looked at them before...

so, if he is BSL, and i breed him to my barred rock hens, what can i expect to hatch? would they pretty much look like barred rocks??

i was thinking he was a little older too.. the guy told me he was 8-9 months old.. but my EE roo is 7 months, and his spurs are no where near the size of this guys...
and yes, his leg was broken... the guy said a few months ago... he hobbles around.. he was ssoo lonley in the quarantine cage that i decided to let him out with the others.. i will dose them all with ivermectin this weekend.. i'm pretty sure he has lice...

he is the sweetest guy though.. now that he's getting used to me, if i walk up to him slowly he lets me pick him up... and he'll sit in my lap without me holding him.. he actually was sleeping in my lap earlier today...

we decided to name him Pyrgus (i say it Per gus) after a character in a book me and my oldest son read...
him and my other rooster have faced off, but stop as soon as i yell at them... my peahens however... i think they see his leg as a weakness and are trying to get rid of him?? they've never fought with my other chickens... other than pecking them away from the food... this peahen was trying to go rounds like a regular roo fight.. lol... cracked me up, but i got in the middle of that one too... i have to watch them when their around apparently... but he's blended with my flock wonderfully.. except the EE hens seem to want to hang with him and the barred rocks want to stick with Blue, my EE Roo.... go figure.. lol...

i think for now, i'm going with the black sex link theory.... makes a LOT of sense and the picture matches pretty darn close... except for the gimp leg... lol...

Back
Top Bottom