Purebreed Hatchery birds but of what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FeyRaine, Nov 24, 2012.

1. FeyRaine

FeyRaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    TN
    Person I got these from had bought mixed purebreed package of dayolds, so what are they?

Popeye (they named him b/c one eye got hurt fighting w/ the 4 other cocks in their mixed bunch).
    The dark tailfeathers are very green, sorry the color looks washed out here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monkey (their name) I'm guessing Buff Polish, although she is rather small.
    Note feathers on feet & some blue in tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm most interested in what the Roo is if anyone wants to guess...
    (Monkey has earned her keep regardless)

Thanks
    FeyRaine

2. Their mix breeds. Hatcheries have mixed breeds.

Monkey is part polish far as I can tell, and the roo... Who the heck knows. Golden sex link?

Oh and if Monkey has feathered feet she might be part langshan, but I don't think they come in buff so I'm guessing a mix of the 2

Things get all sorts of mixed up from hatcheries (Esp. not as reputable hatcheries) so they commonly give out mixed breeds

What hatchery are they from?

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are mixes it appears like

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    These birds are not from hatchery. But they can be desendants of hatchery birds

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They are all mixes. The roo is a mix of at least 3 breeds, if not more. The hen is a Cochin/Polish mix.

6. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Mix or not - they're gorgeous!

7. FeyRaine

FeyRaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    TN
    Thanks everyone!

It is sad that they turn out to be mutts. The guy I got them from believed he paid for purebreeds , you know one of those hatchery suprize package "deals".
    He got caught having chickens in the city so I got his birds free.

On the Roo "Popeye"-- being a mix explains why I could not ever figure out what breed. One of my pullets has taken a shine to him (ran off from her reg. roo to spend the night out of the coop w/ Popeye ) so my DH named her Olive Oil, which I guess means mixed mutt Popeye found a way to avoid freezer camp at least for the winter.

On the Hen "Monkey" - I was thinking Buff Polish but she looked wrong for that, the x Cochin completely makes sence - I looked at some Cochin photos & not just the feathered feet but also the body shape are right there. BTW she is a GREAT little hen -- big enough to lay med. eggs. , holds her own w/ my larger girls yet is not a fight starter, broody enough to set a clutch when I let her (incl other eggs I switched for some of hers), free ranges well, comes when called by name. If anyone tries a Buff Polish x Cochin let me know how it works out b/c if that is what she is then it is as x worth trying.

Thanks again for looking :)
    FeyRaine

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'll bet he ordered a mix from a hatchery and let them interbreed and these are the second generation mixes.

They're both quite cute, esp that little hen!

9. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x3

Hatchery birds are the breed they're supposed to be, even if the patterning on the feathers isn't great or the body shape isn't right. They don't send random mixed breeds (except EEs) or they'd be out of business. Those two look like actual mixes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by