purely layers pellets or a mixure

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by paddyg84, Feb 25, 2014.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    I have 8 free ranging hens. Theyare purely on layers pellets tho i can geta cheap supply of grain. If i mixed grain and layers pellets woukd they still get the nutrients to lay as well?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You would do better to buy the unmedicated chick starter or Flock Raiser and mix that with the grain (higher in protein).

Make sure you offer greens (like alfalfa hay cut to 2-3 inch lengths, grass, etc.) since you will be diluting the vitamins also. Also they will likely need the oyster shell mixed in, I have found by experience. Flemingoutdoors.com has a recommendation of how much on their oyster shell page.

Layer has 16% protein
    Chick starter and Flock Raiser have 20% usually
    Corn has 7-9%
    Wheat 12-14%
    Millet 11%
    Oats I think were 10-13??? I forgot- also depends on hulls or not
    Black Oil Sun seeds 16%
    Barley I forgot- maybe 10% or so
    split peas 24.5%

What I am getting at is that you can mix these up and if you use a high protein base you are better off since I wouldn't go less than 15% for layers. Brand new chicks need the starter by itself until 8 weeks, then you can go down to 17% until point of lay.

I also like to offer Redmond Mineral conditioner for a little salt and minerals (they will feather pick if they don't have enough salt). So when you dilute the commercial feed blend make sure you attend to the oyster shell and salt/mineral requirements. Don't go over about 0.5% salt.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you want to offer the grains as a treat, you can keep it to 10% or less of the feed then you don't have to worry about a thing with your layer pellets.

4. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Some great detailed info there thanks. They free range over a few acres so they get plenty of vitamins and minerals from the grass and hedges etc. Tho thinking of protein levels maybe best to keep pure layers pellets in the feeder or mix chick crumb and grain as suggested.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by