1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Purely Poultry, eFowl or Ideal

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Rebecky54, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I need some Buff Leghorns and Buff Chantecler for a breeding project. I've thought about Sandhill but because of the bad press and straight run, I'm considering PP, eFowl or Ideal so I can order females.

Any input on any or all of these hatcheries? I've only used Hoover, McMurry and Welp in the past.

Thanks,

Becky

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I would say neither. If you want rare colors like Buff Leghorns and a rare color AND breed like Buff Chanteclers to breed and work on, hatcheries are not the way to go. Sure, people say they want cheap chicks and all, but if you're willing to spend the time and money to work on these breeds, who need work, not just production layer breeding, that's what it is going to take. . . Finding a good breeder and spending the money for adult birds or hatching eggs. [​IMG]

That said, Mike Gilbert has some Buff Chanteclers, and there's a big group of Buff Leghorn owners/breeders over in the breeds/genetics section. [​IMG] There's a whole thread on Buff Leghorns there.

3. Rebecky54

Jun 7, 2010
    I know you are right, thanks for the reminder. I belong to CFI and I have some GOOD Buff Chanteclers -- just want a few more. I will stay away from hatcheries and go back to breeders.

Becky

4. Rebecky54

Jun 7, 2010
    BTW, I've asked on the Buff Leghorn thread for birds, but didn't get any replies. I know of a good breeder for chicks, but I was hoping for pullets from the thread, but no luck.

Becky

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sometimes it takes a while for people to respond. If nothing, you can PM the users you find most knowledgeable on what you're looking for.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Dan Hounor on one of those buff leghorn threads is really good at it. See if you can find his post and PM him about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by